Volleyball loses to Virginia Tech, 3-1

Cavaliers drop fifth-straight match Wednesday night

<p>Sophomore right side hitter Jelena Novakovic had 16 kills in Virginia's 3-1 loss to Virginia Tech.&nbsp;</p>

Sophomore right side hitter Jelena Novakovic had 16 kills in Virginia's 3-1 loss to Virginia Tech. 

Virginia dropped its fifth match in a string of tough games against a well-rounded and consistent Virginia Tech team as they battled for the Commonwealth Cup Wednesday night at Memorial Gymnasium. 

The Cavaliers (4-10, 0-3 ACC) started off the match with a statement 4-0 run that would set the tone for the first set. While Virginia traded points with Virginia Tech (7-7, 1-2 ACC), the Hokies were able to build up momentum and take the lead from the Cavaliers, 21-20. With a packed and loud Memorial Gymnasium, the Cavaliers and Hokies would be up for match point twice — before Virginia junior outside hitter Harley Sebastian scored the final kill of the set, earning a hard-fought and gutsy win for Virginia. 

“We started off strong in the first game — we were very competitive,” sophomore right side hitter Jelena Novakovic said. “We looked like we wanted to be there and we wanted to beat the team, and that's how we need to play all the time,” said sophomore right side hitter Jelena Novakovic. 

The Hokies opened up the second set with a 4-0 run that was all too similar to runs made by the Seminoles and Hurricanes against Virginia last weekend. With a tired Virginia team that was unable to keep up, Virginia Tech was able to handily take the set from Virginia, 25-10,  extinguishing the Cavaliers’ spark gained from their first set win. 

In the third and fourth sets, Virginia was able to make better strides in controlling both sides of the ball. However, it was too little too late as Virginia was unable to take advantage of runs that should have made victory attainable. Virginia Tech took both sets to win the match, 3-1. 

Leading Virginia on offense was Novakovic, who was able to complete 16 kills against the Hokies. However, the Hokies were able to put together a strong defensive effort, edging out the Cavaliers in blocks and digs. 

“I felt like we were playing some really good volleyball coming back from our road trip,” Virginia Coach Aaron Smith said. “We were excited to be back on our home court so I was not thrilled to see us play like we did. We played well in the first set, but looked like we got tired and let Virginia Tech do what they want.”

Virginia will continue ACC play as they travel to Pittsburgh to face off against the Panthers Friday. The game is scheduled to begin at 7 p.m.