No. 13 men’s basketball dominates Savannah State

<p>The Cavaliers were led by sophomore guard Ty Jerome, who scored 17 points — a career high.</p>

The Cavaliers were led by sophomore guard Ty Jerome, who scored 17 points — a career high.

Coming off of a dominating 80-60 win over Davidson this past weekend, the No. 13 Virginia men’s basketball team was looking to continue building momentum heading into ACC play as they got ready to take on Savannah State Tuesday night. The Cavaliers (10-1) were able to do just that, dominating their way to a 78-47 win over the struggling Tigers (3-11). 

Virginia came out of the gates on fire and never looked back. At one point in the first half they were up 31-7 before finishing the half with a 42-21 lead. Savannah State struggled scoring against Virginia and their stout pack-line defense. 

Savannah State junior forward John Grant Jr. was the lone bright spot for the Tigers, scoring 22 points off the bench on seven three-pointers and a free throw. Savannah State junior guard Dexter McClanahan chipped in eight points on 2-9 shooting, while no other Tiger player scored more than three points. Overall, the Tigers shot 28 percent from the field, while Virginia shot 50 percent. 

The Cavaliers were led by sophomore guard Ty Jerome, who scored 17 points — a career high — and was 3-3 from beyond the arc. Junior center Jack Salt and sophomore forward Mamadi Diakite also scored in double figures with 10 points apiece. 

The Cavaliers now get set to take on Hampton Friday night and close out non-conference play. The game is scheduled to begin at 7 p.m. in Charlottesville. Virginia will then get over a week to prepare for the beginning of ACC play, and will tip off with a home matchup against Boston College Dec. 30.