Baseball falls 9-4 to VMI

Game was first at renovated and renamed Davenport Field

<p>Virginia junior right-handed pitcher Grant Donahue couldn't slow VMI's first inning rally as they built a lead the Cavaliers were unable to overcome.</p>

Virginia junior right-handed pitcher Grant Donahue couldn't slow VMI's first inning rally as they built a lead the Cavaliers were unable to overcome.

The Virginia baseball team lost 9-4 to VMI in its home opener at the newly renovated Davenport Field at Disharoon Park Tuesday night. The Virginia Athletics Foundation and the University department of athletics announced plans on Tuesday to rename the stadium Davenport Field at Disharoon Park after donors Leslie and Ann Disharoon, pending formal approval by the Board of Visitors. 

Griff McGarry, a freshman right-handed pitcher making his first collegiate start for the Cavaliers, walked three batters in the first inning and only got two outs before being replaced by junior right-handed pitcher Grant Donahue as VMI scored six runs in the top of the first. VMI scored another run off Donahue in the second to take a 7-0 lead.

Freshman right-handed pitcher Blake Rohm made his debut on the mound for the Virginia, giving up only two hits in two innings of scoreless relief. Rohm pitched the fourth and fifth innings before making way for freshman right-handed pitcher Kyle Whitten. VMI scored two more runs in the eighth inning off senior left-handed pitcher Riley Wilson.

Virginia freshman designated hitter Devin Ortiz drove in senior left fielder Charlie Cody on a single in the bottom of the second to open the scoring for Virginia. Ortiz also grounded into a double play in the sixth inning which drove in freshman right fielder Alex Tappen to cut the VMI lead to 7-4.

Senior catcher Caleb Knight went 3-4 with two RBIs for the Cavaliers, both coming on a two-out double in the bottom of the fifth.

VMI senior center fielder Will Malbon also went 3-4, driving in two runs and scoring two.

This was the first game played at the newly renovated Davenport Field. Announced attendance at the game was 3,709 — a new home opener record for the ballpark.

The Cavaliers next play in a three-game series at home Feb. 23-25 against Eastern Kentucky. The first game begins Friday at 3:00 p.m. at Davenport Field.