U.Va. considering demolition of U-Hall

Proposal awaiting approval by the full Board of Visitors

<p>University Hall is the former home of the women's and men's varsity basketball teams</p>

University Hall is the former home of the women's and men's varsity basketball teams

Plans are in the works to demolish University Hall to make way for future athletic program needs, although the proposal is yet to be approved by U.Va.’s Board of Visitors. 

University Hall, commonly referred to as “U-Hall,” opened in 1965. Located in North Grounds at the corner of Copeley Road and Massie Road, the building was home to both the men’s and women’s varsity basketball teams until the opening of John Paul Jones Arena in the summer of 2006.

Currently, the only utilized spaces in U-Hall are locker rooms and athletic department offices.

A description of the proposed demolition in the Board’s agenda materials from earlier this month says “there is no need for this purposefully built space” due to U-Hall no longer hosting athletic events for varsity sports. According to the proposal, U-Hall would need extensive renovations and infrastructural updates in order to stay in use.

The description also states that demolishing U-Hall would “accommodate projected future athletic program needs” and allow for comprehensive and more effective future development of the University’s athletic district, which is defined by Emmet Street, Copeley Road, Massie Road and the railroad.

Colette Sheehy, University Senior Vice President for Operations, said the proposal is awaiting final approval from the full Board of Visitors.

“This proposed project is included on the 2018 Capital Plan that was reviewed with the Board of Visitors in March and will be presented for approval at the June meeting,” Sheehy said in an email to The Cavalier Daily.

Sheehy also said that as of right now, there are no definitive plans for what will become of the U-Hall site if the demolition moves forward, but a master planning initiative is in progress to determine the best usage of the space. 

“An Athletics Precinct master planning effort is currently underway,” Sheehy said. “The results of this planning effort will provide recommendations for the future use of the U-Hall site.”

The University Athletic Department declined to comment on the proposal.

The demolition of U-Hall, as well as its supporting structures, Onesty Hall and the Cage practice facility, is estimated to cost between $4 and $6 million dollars. Abatement of U-Hall is estimated to cost $4.5 to $4.9 million dollars. A funding source for the project is to be determined, but the project could begin by the end of 2018.