UJC reviews 2017-18 term, discusses case statistics and admonitions

The committee also follows tradition of announcing outstanding support officer awards

<p>Third-year Engineering student Kevin Warshaw has assumed the position of chair from Bautz for the 2018-19 term.</p>

Third-year Engineering student Kevin Warshaw has assumed the position of chair from Bautz for the 2018-19 term.

The University Judiciary Committee reviewed case statistics from the past term as well as a breakdown of delivered admonitions during their general body meeting Sunday. The analysis found violations of nearly every standard was broken, and the committee administered 88 admonitions ranging from hours of community service and educational classes to expulsion. The committee also delivered support officer awards.

Peter Bautz, a Law student and former chair of UJC, shared a breakdown of case statistics from this past year. He said there had been 73 total cases heard by the Committee, with 94 standards of conduct alleged. The UJC had 85 total accused students and three accused groups that came through. There were 27 hearing panels granted out of those 73 total cases. The total number of cases being referred to the vice president in the Division of Student Affairs was one.

Bautz also announced statistics related to the standards of conduct that breaks down how many of each standard were alleged, how many people pled guilty and how many people were found guilty. He said the most violated standards were standard six and 10, which is mostly comprised of cases of underrage drinking and obtaining fake IDs.

Bautz also noticed that there were more standard 12 and standard 2 cases heard this year than in past years. A standard 2 case involves conduct that “intentionally or recklessly threatens the health or safety of any person on University-owned or leased property, at a University-sanctioned function, at the permanent or temporary local residence of a University student, faculty member, employee, or visitor, or in the city of Charlottesville or Albemarle County.” A standard 12 case involves “failure to comply with directions of University officials” acting under the University’s standards of conduct.

“This year is sort of atypical for us than in past years in the fact that we had every single standard get alleged besides Standard 5,” Bautz said. “It shows us how much, even though we may be sort of average on how many cases we have — the average cases being around 70 to 90 cases a year — but we still had a pretty good spread of standards being alleged.”

UJC also gave out 88 admonitions, including assigning three meetings with a Dean, 11 educational classes, 51 essays, 1,185 hours of community service, two suspensions and one expulsion. 110 hours of community service, 10 suspensions and two expulsions have been held in abeyance — meaning they will be put into action if the student comes back after violating a certain condition.

“Overall, though we had more diversity in terms of what types of standards came in, it was fairly typical all around in terms of sanctions and what cases we heard,” Bautz said.

The UJC will be sending a University-wide email with these statistics this week.

The Committee announced outstanding support officer awards — an annual tradition. The Outstanding Counselor award went to Lizzy Trotta, Outstanding Investigator award went to Law student Joey Knofczynski and the Outstanding Educator award went to third-year College student Alexus Ferguson. Each officer was given a Jefferson Cup as a prize.

Fourth-year College student Jack Brake, who is the outgoing Vice Chair for Trials, told the Committee that he has enjoyed working with the group since his first semester at the University.

“Being the person charged with scheduling all of the trials and helping to make sure that the case … is complete so when it’s finalized it goes smoothly, I’m particularly impressed from the professionalism from each of you,” Brake said. “We don’t delay trials because of internal errors. I do not think we did that a single time this year, which is just a testament to how hard all of you work and the seriousness with which you take up for this, a testament to student self governance all the rest.”

Bautz echoed Brake’s comments about working with the Committee. 

“The most meaningful part of my UJC experience has not been the titles, the endless meetings or the flooded email inbox — it has been the people,” Bautz said. “Over the past three years, I have formed friendships with many UJC members, some of my closest friends at U.Va. came from the UJC executive committee.”

Third-year Engineering student Kevin Warshaw was elected the next chair of UJC in March and has officially assumed the position for the 2018-19 term.