Roads near Rotunda will be closed during UVA Students United demonstration, City announces

The road closures will take effect at 6 p.m. and end at 10 p.m. on Aug. 11

Parts of University Avenue and Rugby Road will be closed during a student-led protest at the Rotunda.

The City of Charlottesville announced several road closures Saturday morning to take effect during a planned demonstration by student activism group U.Va. Students United at the North Plaza of the Rotunda.

From 6 p.m. to 10 p.m. on Saturday, Aug. 11, University Avenue at Culbreth Road and Rugby Road at Culbreth Avenue will be closed to allow “safe pedestrian traffic at the intersection,” the statement from the Charlottesville-Albemarle-U.Va. Joint Information Center says.

Traffic will be detoured on 14th Street, Grady Avenue, Culbreth and Rugby Road.

Additionally, McCormick Road will be closed from Emmet Street to University Avenue from 6 a.m. on Saturday, Aug. 11, through noon on Sunday.

On Friday, University President Jim Ryan announced additional security measures for the protest, including crowd limits and metal detectors at entrances. The protest’s Facebook event says the demonstration will go from 7 p.m. to 9 p.m. Saturday night.