Softball beats Liberty at home, 4-3

The Cavaliers broke a 13-game losing streak

<p>Senior pitcher Allyson Frei had the save for the Cavaliers, securing their victory.</p>

Senior pitcher Allyson Frei had the save for the Cavaliers, securing their victory.

Virginia broke a 13-game losing streak with a win at home against Liberty at The Park Tuesday night. Senior pitcher Erika Osherow pitched five innings for the Cavaliers, allowing just one run on six hits.

The Cavaliers (17-25, 5-13 ACC) lost to the Flames (30-16, 12-3 ASUN) 2-0 two weeks ago, but pulled this one out behind strong pitching.

The Cavaliers were able to score three runs in the first to take an early lead. Sophomore infielder Hayley Busby led off with a single up the middle and was driven in by senior infielder Lacy Smith with a double in the next at-bat. Smith later scored on a fielder’s choice, and another run came in on a walk from freshman shortstop Arizona Ritchie with the bases loaded. Freshman infielder Abigail Barber also came up with a single for the inning. 

Liberty added a pair of runs on four singles in the sixth to shorten Virginia’s lead. The Cavaliers, however, responded in the bottom half of the inning. Smith produced her second double of the game, and Osherow added a single to score a run and make it a 4-2 game. 

In the final inning, Liberty came within one run of the Cavaliers, capitalizing off of a pair of errors and a single. Senior pitcher Allyson Frei pulled out the win for Virginia, however, stranding two on base to end the inning.

Virginia is set to play at home again Friday at 4 p.m. in a return to conference play against Notre Dame.