Third-year student passes away

Arvel Adams passed away May 17, while receiving treatment for kidney cancer, according to email to U.Va. community

Adams had returned home to New York to receive treatment.

Former third-year College student Arvel Adams passed away May 17 from a “rare and aggressive form of kidney cancer,” according to a statement from Dean of Students Allen Groves. 

Groves sent a separate University-wide email Thursday evening, informing students of Adam’s passing. Adams was from Brooklyn, New York and had completed coursework in economics and business at the University, according to the email. He had withdrawn from the University last November after receiving his diagnosis the month prior. 

“He hoped to win his battle against this disease and return to Grounds, complete his studies, and walk the Lawn with the Class of 2020,” Groves said in his email to the University community. 

Adams was involved with the Virginia Case Club and the University Democrats during his time at the University. UDems posted on Facebook Monday announcing Adams’ death and also asked students to “consider donating to his family’s GoFundMe” fundraising page for his memorial. 

“Arvel has been described by those who knew him well as ‘incredibly caring and empathetic, insightful and thoughtful,’ as well as possessing a maturity well beyond his years,” Groves said. “An individual who always maintained a positive outlook, Arvel displayed a ‘contagiously positive attitude’ and had ‘a laugh and smile that brightened the gloomiest of days.’” 

Adams is survived by his mother, Agatha Harper, also of Brooklyn, New York.