Rising third-year student passes away

Henry Reed passed away Aug. 8, after he was treated for a previously undiagnosed brain tumor

<p>A celebration of Reed’s life is to be held Saturday, Sept. 14 at the Pines on the Severn Community Beach.&nbsp;</p>

A celebration of Reed’s life is to be held Saturday, Sept. 14 at the Pines on the Severn Community Beach. 

Rising third-year College student Henry Reed passed away Aug. 8 after “emergency surgery and a courageous battle to recover from significant complications” in the treatment a previously undiagnosed brain tumor, according to a University-wide email from Dean of Students Allen Groves sent Wednesday evening. Reed was hospitalized at Johns Hopkins July 31.

Reed was from Severna Park, Maryland and was majoring in Statistics, with a concentration in Econometrics. In his time at the University, Reed made Dean’s List honors and earned a 3.85 grade point average. He participated as a brother in Kappa Alpha, volunteered tax assistance to local residents through Madison House and played on intramural soccer and ultimate frisbee teams.

Groves’ email included a statement from Reed’s older sister Kate, in which she described her brother as, “a wise old soul, a hard-working, smart and funny music enthusiast and a true-blue loyal friend.”

“Most of all, he was a sweet, unassuming, and kind young man who was a devoted son and beloved brother beyond measure,” the statement continues.

Reed is survived by his parents, Matthew and Amy Reed and his three siblings — Kate, Fritz and Sally. A celebration of Reed’s life is to be held Saturday, Sept. 14 at the Pines on the Severn Community Beach.