Virginia squash begins the new year with three victories

The men’s team hands Western Ontario its first loss of the season

sp-squashwontario

Virginia men's squash gave Western Ontario its first loss of the season Sunday.

Courtesy Virginia Athletics

The Virginia men’s and women’s squash teams opened the new year with a clean sweep over the weekend, defeating Western Ontario and Vassar at the McArthur Squash Center. 

The No. 10 women’s team (5-3) defeated the Brewers (4-9) Saturday, capturing a 9-0 victory. The No. 8 men’s team (7-3) defeated Vassar (4-11) in another sweeping 9-0 victory on the same day before capturing a close win over No. 13 Western Ontario (7-1) Sunday. 

Saturday, Jan. 11

Both the men’s and women’s teams defeated Vassar in clean 9-0 victories. The women’s team won eight of its nine matches 3-0, with the last point coming from a default win in position nine, and the men’s team won all nine matches 3-0. 

Senior Sarah Doss only ceded two total points in the opening match of the day, beating junior Alexa Elias 11-1, 11-0, 11-1. 

Other notable wins came from sophomore Caroline Baldwin, who gave up only four points in her 11-2, 11-2, 11-0 win against freshman Odie Berkson in position five, and senior Isabelle Ezratty, who won in position seven with a score of 11-2, 11-0 11-4. 

The men’s team also ceded few points to Vassar. Junior Andrew Braff was a standout, winning in position six with a score of 11-1, 11-3, 11-1. 

Sunday, Jan. 12 

The men’s team faced its first ranked opponent of the new year Sunday. The Cavaliers’ close 5-4 victory over the Mustangs maintains Virginia’s undefeated home record this season. 

Western Ontario had been undefeated thus far this season and had claimed a victory over Virginia in their last meetup at nationals two years ago. 

Senior Toby Hansford and freshman Teddy Durfee led Virginia back from a score of 4-3 to win the last two matches and ultimately the game overall. 

Hansford defeated junior Jackson Kay 12-10, 11-8, 11-4 in position eight, tying the game as Durfee began his first match in position nine. 

Durfee ultimately defeated sophomore William Kuhn 11-3, 5-11, 11-4. 

Both Virginia teams will next play Wednesday against Brown at the McArthur Squash Center at Boar’s Head Resort. 

related stories