U.Va. COVID-19 tracker reports 127 active cases in the community, 106 of which are student cases

42 new cases were reported over the weekend prior to the start of classes

<p>There have been a total of 2,011 cases of COVID-19 in the University community since Aug. 17, of which 1,486 were students. &nbsp;</p>

There have been a total of 2,011 cases of COVID-19 in the University community since Aug. 17, of which 1,486 were students.  

Lea en español

There are currently 127 active cases of COVID-19 within the University community, according to the University’s COVID-19 tracker. This number includes cases from students, faculty, staff and contracted employees. There were 26 new cases on Friday, 9 on Saturday and 7 on Sunday. Active cases refer to individuals who have tested positive during the last 10 days and are required to go into isolation.    

Last week, the average number of new cases within the University community was 16 cases per day –– an increase from 14 cases per day the previous week. Of 10,867 tests administered by the University last week, 113 returned positive results. The average among students was 13 new cases per day, whereas all seven new cases on Sunday have been students. 

The semester began Monday with both in-person and virtual learning — 27 percent of classes will have an in-person component this spring. Starting this week, every student will be subject to weekly prevalence testing, and consequences will be enforced for those who fail to comply with the mandatory weekly testing. If a student misses testing once, they will receive a warning. The second time, a notification will be sent to the student’s school, and the third time, they will lose access to University networks and resources. During the fourth instance of noncompliance, the student will be issued an interim disciplinary suspension. Faculty and staff can also undergo voluntary asymptomatic testing during the walk-in hours listed on the BeSafe site. 

Gatherings will be limited to six people for at least the first two weeks of the semester — a drop from 10 at the end of the fall semester. Vaccinated students and those who have already tested positive for COVID-19 are still expected to follow University mask-wearing policies and respect gathering limits.

Student quarantine rooms are at 5 percent occupancy, and isolation rooms are at 1 percent occupancy. Quarantine rooms are for those who may have been exposed to COVID-19, whereas isolation rooms are for those who have received a positive test.  

A total of 47 coronavirus patients are currently hospitalized at U.Va., with three new patients having been admitted yesterday. The hospital is taking 22 hours on average to complete a test.

According to the Blue Ridge Health District data portal, there have been 10,878 total cases in the area including Charlottesville and five surrounding counties. The total number of hospitalizations is at 436 and the total fatalities at 110. The BRHD reports that 3,946 cases come from Albemarle County, which has had 35 total fatalities. Charlottesville has had 2,743 cases with 39 fatalities, making up 25.22 percent of all cases but 35.45 percent of all fatalities in the BRHD. 

As of Monday, more than 26,346,100 people in the United States have been infected with COVID-19. Yesterday, there were at least 113,512 new cases reported and 1,864 coronavirus deaths. There have been 443,166 total deaths in the United States.

The University COVID-19 tracker is updated every weekday at 4 p.m., and the BRHD data dashboard is updated daily at 10 a.m.