A guide to Fall 2021 a cappella concerts

Find the upcoming a cappella concert that’s right for you

After a long hiatus from in-person performing due to the COVID-19, the University’s many a cappella groups around Grounds are finally back on stage with their first full sets since the pandemic. 

This year’s fall concert circuit may have already begun — the Virginia Gentlemen kicked off the festivities with their family weekend concert — but there’s still plenty of opportunity to live out your “Pitch Perfect” dreams vicariously through others. 

For some Halloweekend entertainment

Christian Hoos Exalt — otherwise known as CHooSe, the University’s Christian a cappella group — is having their “Off The Rails: Trick or Trainwreck” concert on Saturday, Oct. 30 at 4 p.m. in McLeod Hall. The show is free and the perfect choice for anyone looking for some fun alternative plans for Halloween weekend.

For a collection of pop hits

The Hullabahoos, an all-male a cappella group, is hosted its annual fall concert Friday, Oct. 29 at 7 p.m. in Old Cabell Hall. Known for their smooth vocals, signature robes and brush with fame — with cameos on “Pitch Perfect,” “The Office” and “The Voice” —  the Hullabahoos are one of the most popular a cappella groups at the University. The group is known for impressive vocal renditions of catchy tunes by Ariana Grande, Bruno Mars and equally popular hit-churners at this season’s show.

The New Dominions — the University’s premiere gender inclusive a cappella group — will be hosting their fall concert Friday, Nov. 5 at 8 p.m. in McLeod Hall. The show —  entitled “New Dominions! Here We Go Again!” — is guaranteed to deliver rich harmonies and uplifting notes that will get audience members’ toes tapping along. Expect to hear pop hits in a similar vein to those of their past repertoire, which has included “Better” by Khalid and “Praying” by Kesha. Tickets can be purchased for $8 for University students  and $10 for everyone else on their website or through Venmo @newdominions, or for $10 at the door.

For the rock and roll fans

The University’s only rockapella group, The Flying Vs, will perform at their fall concert “Caught on Camera” Saturday, Nov. 6 at 8 p.m at the idyllic University Chapel. The group’s past sets have included rock and roll hits such as Aerosmith’s “Dream On,” “I Write Sins not Tragedies” by Panic! at the Disco and “Jailhouse Rock” by Elvis Presley, so listeners can look forward to a night of equally energizing anthems. 

For modern Indian-American fusion

Ektaal — the University's South Asian American fusion a cappella group — will perform Thursday, Nov. 11 at 7:30 p.m. in McLeod Hall. The group’s current repertoire includes a wide range of songs including fun mashups like “Ghungroo x Get Lucky” and “Dildara x Put Your Records On.” Tickets are available pre-sale on Venmo @uvaektaal for $5, or $7 at the event.

For a musical theater fix

The University's broadway a cappella group Hoos in the Stairwell will perform Nov. 12 at 8 p.m. at the University Chapel. Enjoy favorites from old and new musicals alike — the group has sung everything from Hamilton’s “One Last Time” to Wicked’s “No Good Deed,” so there is sure to be something to meet everyone’s musical theater taste.