A nostalgia-tinged ranking of 'Red (Taylor’s Version)'

Find out how all 30 tracks stack up against each other

<p>The heavily anticipated re-release of her 2012 record “Red” has also brought back nostalgia and reminded fans of old favorite songs.</p>

The heavily anticipated re-release of her 2012 record “Red” has also brought back nostalgia and reminded fans of old favorite songs.

Taylor Swift’s “Red (Taylor’s Version)” has already established itself as a smashing success. In less than two weeks, the album has received critical acclaim, launched a 10-minute song to the top of the Billboard charts and provided fans with fodder for speculation regarding Swift's relationship with Jake Gyllenhaal. 

The heavily anticipated re-release of her 2012 record “Red” has also brought back nostalgia and reminded fans of old favorite songs. Everyone has their own unique taste in music and different songs speak to different people — continue reading for my own slightly biased but undeniably accurate ranking of every song on “Red (Taylor’s Version).” 

30. “State of Grace (Acoustic Version) (Taylor’s Version)”

Though this version has its beautiful moments, it’s a song that didn’t need an acoustic version. The snappiness of the original was lost in translation.

29. “Sad Beautiful Tragic (Taylor’s Version)”

This melancholy track is pretty but ultimately forgettable compared to the iconic songs next to which it sits.

28. “Better Man (Taylor’s Version) (From The Vault)”

Reminiscent of her earlier country songs, this track would fit perfectly with “Fearless (Taylor’s Version)” but is not the most memorable song on “Red (Taylor’s Version).”

27. “Babe (Taylor’s Version) (From The Vault)”

It’s catchy, and the new sonical additions add some spunk to this rendition. However, it does not add enough for Swift’s solo version to surpass that of the original Sugarland duet. 

26. “Run (feat. Ed Sheeran) (Taylor’s Version) (From The Vault)”

Though it’s a nice song, it’s not as memorable as the other Ed Sheeran duet on the record.

25. “The Lucky One (Taylor’s Version)” 

Another song with notable differences from the original version, Swift’s smoother, more mature vocals replace some of the loveable squeak of the first rendition of this song about fame.

24. “Girl At Home (Taylor’s Version)”

Though it was never known for being a fan favorite — its lyrics are tinged with a trace of internalized misogyny — it’s still impeccably catchy. Taylor’s version sounds notably different from the original — a little more processed with a little less oomph. 

23. “Come Back…Be Here (Taylor’s Version)”

This song is a nice track that blends well with the rest without sticking out.

22. “The Very First Night (Taylor’s Version) (From The Vault)”

It’s another catchy and upbeat but unremarkable tune.

21. “Message In A Bottle (Taylor’s Version) (From The Vault)”

This upbeat pop number is a refreshing change of pace from the rest of the record.

20. “I Almost Do (Taylor’s Version)”

This song is beautiful but forgettable. It fits perfectly with the rest of the album and is not a skip — it’s just not one that would be singled out either.  

19. “22 (Taylor’s Version)”

The nostalgia points alone from this former single make listening to it a blast. It’s only low on the list because of how overplayed it was at the time.

18. “Forever Winter (Taylor’s Version) (From The Vault)”

This new release sneaks up on you and may get stuck in your head for days on end.

17. “The Moment I Knew (Taylor’s Version)”

Though this was a sleeper hit for me, the illustration of a relationship falling apart at a presumably 21st birthday party makes it a poignant addition to the album.

16. “State of Grace (Taylor’s Version)”

This song is the perfect way to start the album off with a bang.

15. “Treacherous (Taylor’s Version)”

Though it’s less remarkable at first, "Treacherous (Taylor's Version)" is a song that builds as it works its way up to a triumphant bridge.

14. “Ronan (Taylor’s Version)”

This emotional ode from the point of view of a mother who lost her child to cancer delivers musically but lacks the charitable component of the original. 

13. “Holy Ground (Taylor’s Version)”

From the very first note, “Holy Ground (Taylor’s Version)” hits the ground running with irresistible energy.

12. “Everything Has Changed (feat. Ed Sheeran) (Taylor’s Version)”

This pretty track is the one most likely to get stuck in your head.

11. We Are Never Getting Back Together (Taylor’s Version)”

This fun bop was the album’s lead single for a reason. Its peppy tone elicits memories of summer 2012 when the original was blasting on the radio daily.

10. “Stay Stay Stay (Taylor’s Version)”

This song was one of my favorites from the album as a kid, so needless to say it’s especially nostalgic for me in its cheeriness and saccharine alike. It’s just such a happy song that can uplift spirits instantly.

9. “Starlight (Taylor’s Version)”

A smile for your heart, the pure joy of this song feels like you’re floating on a cloud dusted with starlight. The serotonin boost alone is enough to skyrocket this song into my top 10. 

8. “I Knew You Were Trouble (Taylor’s Version)”

Another track that brings strong nostalgia, Taylor’s version is just as good of a sing-along song as the first.

7. “I Bet You Think About Me (Feat. Chris Stapleton) (From The Vault) (Taylor’s Version)”

This song is fun all around, with a bouncy country twang and a wedding-themed music video accompaniment. 

6. “The Last Time (feat. Gary Lightbody of Snow Patrol) (Taylor’s Version)”

This underrated melancholy tune boasts gorgeous harmonies and a melody that will stick with you.

5. “Red (Taylor’s Version)”

The title track perfectly encapsulates the album with its color metaphors.

4. “Begin Again (Taylor’s Version)”

This underrated ballad is as beautiful as it is hopeful.

3. “All Too Well (Taylor’s Version)”

This incredible track is known by fans as one of Swift’s best songs for a reason, but it does not shine as brightly next to its long-awaited 10-minute version.

2. “Nothing New (Feat. Phoebe Bridgers) (From The Vault) (Taylor’s Version)”

Lyrics such as “How can a person know everything / At 18, but nothing at 22?” and the heavenly vocal combination of Swift and Phoebe Bridgers make this track a stunning portrait of the experience of young adulthood for women.

1. “All Too Well (10 Minute Version) (Taylor’s Version) (From The Vault)”

The long-awaited 10-minute track is as much exposé as it is a song. Though it may be a predictable choice for number one, it has been so deeply anticipated for a reason — it’s a masterpiece. The 10-minute version brings more depth with catchy new verses and killer lines such as “You kept me like a secret, but I kept you like an oath” and “And I was never good at telling jokes but the punch line goes / ‘I’ll get older but your lovers stay my age.’”