Class of 2026 arrives on Grounds anticipating new friends, experiences

Move-in returns in full swing without Covid-19 restrictions.

<p>Students have been preparing for move-in most of the summer, as incoming students received their dorm assignments and respective move-in date and time slot in June.&nbsp;</p>

Students have been preparing for move-in most of the summer, as incoming students received their dorm assignments and respective move-in date and time slot in June. 

中文版请点击此处

While transitioning to college classes and life can be daunting, anticipation is in the air for new students. Bright and early Thursday morning, first-year students began moving into their  dorm rooms, lugging belongings up the stairs and decorating their new homes. 

First-year College student Joe Ressler began moving into his dorm on Thursday — a process he found easier than expected — and stated his excitement to interact with other students.

“It's pretty cliche, but just meeting new people, that is one of the things I'm looking forward to and getting out of my comfort zone,” Ressler said.

Move-in continued through Friday and was followed each day by Wahoo Welcome events including IM-Rec activities, a pep rally for the football team at Scott Stadium and plenty of chances to meet fellow first-year students. As part of the Wahoo Welcome programming, singer Sean Kingston is performing for the annual Welcome Week concert — a free concert hosted by the University Programs Council open to all University students. 

First-year College student Christine Chan said she is looking forward to spending time with her peers. 

“[There's] a lot of mixed feelings of excitement and nervousness but I think that's what most people feel as a first-year student in college, but I'm just looking forward to hanging out with my friends and then meeting new people and enjoying college life,” Chan said.

Students have been preparing for move-in most of the summer, as incoming students received their dorm assignments and respective move-in date and time slot in June. While students were able to adjust their assigned move-in time, the specific date was unchangeable unless an application was filed. 

As an international student, Chan applied for an early move-in spot and was able to move in on Tuesday. 

“It's definitely harder because I have to travel a really far distance to come here and move in but I think it sort of makes college more interesting because you're living so far away from home and everything's new,” Chan said. 

While incoming first-year students expressed their eagerness to jump into college life, many also stated anticipation for the heavier workload that comes with college classes.

Ressler said he expects adjusting to college classes to be the most challenging aspect of the transition to University life.

“Probably adjusting to the workload is definitely going to be [most challenging],” Ressler said. “I'm definitely taking some pretty hard classes.”

First-year College student Will Adewole also says that he is most concerned about his math classes, as math is not his strongest subject. 

“Probably the classes I have to take [will be challenging] because I'm not very good at math,” Adewole said. 

To ease the stress of move-in, student greeters welcome incoming students, assist with moving belongings into dorm rooms and direct families where to park. For the first time since 2019, students were able to move in without masks and be assisted by greeters.  

Ressler says that the process of moving into his dorm room was easier than expected, especially with the help of student greeters to assist with the process.

Second-year Engineering student Azaria Bolton is volunteering as a greeter this year and says that the experience has been very pleasant as everyone is excited for the new year to begin. 

“It's nice to make an experience that we didn't get special for those who do get it,” Bolton said. 

First-year students are not the only students arriving on Grounds. Incoming transfer students and returning second-year students — who are living on Grounds — are able to move in on Saturday. Returning third and fourth-year students living on Grounds will be able to move in on Sunday and classes will begin on Tuesday.