My favorite and easy five-ingredient bagel recipe

An easy, cost-effective recipe to bring Bodo’s to your kitchen

Fresh from the oven — right after cooling — the inside of the bagel is soft, warm and chewy and complements the crispy exterior.

Like a lot of University students, I classify bagels as my sixth food group. Whether it’s a freshly-made everything bagel from Bodo’s Bagels or a pumpkin bagel from the bread aisle at Trader Joe’s, I probably eat one each day. Although I will always swear by the classic cinnamon raisin and strawberry cream cheese combination, I love branching out with bagel flavors, spreads and toppings. In fact, I just tried cream cheese and lox on an everything bagel from Bodo’s, and it was life-changing. 

I recently stumbled upon an online recipe for homemade bagels, which sparked my interest since I am currently thriving in my bagel-obsession era. Unlike a lot of more authentic bagel recipes, this one only requires five ingredients — excluding toppings — all of which are easily found in my pantry and fridge. After realizing the simplicity of both the ingredients and the directions, I knew I had to try it out. 

This recipe outlines the steps to essentially prepare a blank canvas of a bagel as the options for toppings are endless. In other words, whether you’re craving a sesame or chocolate chip bagel, this recipe is a must-try. Personally, I decided to make my spin on a French toast bagel by dusting cinnamon-sugar on top and mixing in maple syrup and vanilla extract.

Prep time: 10 minutes

Bake time: 25 minutes

Cool time: 15 minutes

Servings: 4 bagels

Ingredients:

• 1 cup all-purpose flour
  • 2 teaspoons baking powder
  • ¾ teaspoons kosher salt
  • 1 cup nonfat Greek yogurt
  • 1 egg, beaten
  • Optional: maple syrup, vanilla, cinnamon-sugar mixture (1:4 ratio), sesame seeds, everything seasoning. 

Directions:

1. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and spray parchment paper with non-stick cooking oil.
  2. In a medium-sized bowl, mix together the flour, baking powder and salt.
  3. In the same bowl, add in the Greek yogurt and any other liquid flavorings — I mixed in a tablespoon of maple syrup and a teaspoon of vanilla extract — and mix with a spatula until it has reached a consistency similar to cookie dough. 
  4. Sprinkle flour onto a flat surface, remove the dough from the bowl and lay it on the surface.
  5. Knead the dough until smooth, and divide it into four equal portions. Roll each portion into a rope, around ¾ inches thick, and connect the ends of each rope to create the bagel shape. 
  6. Dust the top and bottom of each bagel with your preferred seasonings — I chose cinnamon-sugar for this french toast bagel — and then brush the bagel tops with the egg.
  7. Place bagels on the baking sheet, and bake for 25 minutes. Once taken out of the oven, allow the bagels to cool for 15 minutes before slicing.

While preparing the bagels, my anticipation rose with every stage in the process, and the resulting product did not disappoint. Fresh from the oven — right after cooling — the inside of the bagel is soft, warm and chewy and complements the crispy exterior. Additionally, the cinnamon-sugar topping, vanilla and maple syrup ensure the perfect amount of sweetness. With all of the seasonings and mix-ins, the bagels impeccably encapsulate the flavors of French toast. 

After preparing these French toast bagels, I am excited to make my next batch, possibly the classic everything bagel using the Everything But The Bagel Sesame Seasoning Blend. I am also going to try my hand at making cinnamon raisin bagels by mixing cinnamon and raisins into the dough. 

If you’re looking for an evening unwinding activity, I highly recommend spending the night baking bagels and then enjoying the fruits of your labor in the morning — although “labor” does not reflect the minimal effort needed. The recipe requires virtually no baking expertise, making it great for all bagel-loving college students. Simply put, these homemade bagels are delicious, inexpensive and practically bring a little taste of Bodo’s into your own kitchen.