The Cavalier Daily
Serving the University Community Since 1890

Brigitte Meyer

More articles »

Over the course of the University’s construction and existence from 1817 to 1865, an estimated total of 4,000 individuals labored on Grounds, though it is not known how many specifically tended the gardens.
The gardens were designed initially to be multipurpose: divided in two, one half was possibly dedicated to the public whereas the half closest to the pavilion itself was generally reserved for a small kitchen garden bearing small herbs and other plants as well as a number of smaller, likely wooden structures.

More media »