Create sexual assault commission

With a powerful silent protest held Wednesday that highlighted community discontent with the University's handling of sexual assault, the impetus for change with regard to this serious policy issue is undeniable. The often-cited statistic that one in four college women will either be the victim of rape or attempted rape is staggering, but just as staggering is the fact that 95 percent of cases go unreported. Community members involved in this week's demonstration are well aware of the numbers, and the administration must respond to their activism with decisive and tangible reforms to establish a sufficient system of justice and support for survivors.

Primary among the changes called for is the creation of a presidential commission on sexual assault and safety. Modeled on the President's Commission on Diversity and Equity, this would be the ideal outlet for gathering experts to examine the current state of affairs and suggest ways to promote education and sexual assault prevention throughout a student's entire University experience. Nothing is more central to a person than his or her safety and emotional wellbeing, and the University should take advantage of the critical mass developing behind activists' work to implement a commission to make sure that no victim or potential victim slips through the cracks.

Fighting sexual assault is a cause that deserves the same resources and attention now being given to diversity initiatives and is something all community members can agree on. We hope administrators will take up the challenge being issued to them and devote anything and everything necessary to accomplishing it.