A series on sexual assault

Today we begin a four-part series that chronicles one former student's ordeal of accusing a fellow student of sexual assault, culminating in a Sexual Assault Board hearing. The stories are based on hundreds of pages of documents, as well as interviews with Kathryn Russell, the accuser, Susan Russell, her mother, administrators, and others.

Since the Commonwealth's Attorney decided not to prosecute the case and the accused was eventually acquitted by the Sexual Assault Board, we have decided not to reveal the identity of the accused student. He has declined to comment for the story.

From the beginning, we wanted this story to focus on the process. What is it like to bring up sexual assault charges to the police or the SAB? How effective are the resources available? What impact does bringing up charges have on a person? Is the SAB a successful way to administer justice and deter sexual assault? We want this story to suggest answers to these questions rather than debate the merits of Russell's case.

The series concludes on April 7, the day of Take Back the Night. This is not a coincidence. If nothing else, we want the story to increase dialogue about how the University handles allegations of sexual assault. This rare opportunity to shine light on a normally shadowy and mysterious process will help place the new revisions to the University's sexual assault policy in context, as well as leave room for more essential scrutiny of this difficult and trying issue. Only with constant study and discussion can the policy achieve its most essential function: to deter sexual assault at the University.