Female student victim of assault

A female University student was sexually assaulted early yesterday morning while walking in the 1600 block of Grady Avenue, according to Charlottesville Police Sgt. C.R. Smith.

Christopher Allen Noakes, a 39-year-old Charlottesville city resident, was charged with attempted rape, robbery, forcible sodomy and abduction following the incident, Smith said.

The victim had been talking on the phone with a friend at the time of the attack. The friend called 911 at about 1:25 a.m., guessing the approximate location of the victim. A second 911 call came in while police were searching for the woman, identifying the location as the 1600 block of Grady Avenue.

When the police arrived on the scene, the suspect was assaulting the victim. The suspect fled the scene and the victim confirmed that the man had assaulted her, Smith said. After chasing him for several blocks, officers apprehended the man.

The second caller, who witnessed the attack and asked to remain anonymous, said she heard the victim's cries at about 1:20 a.m.

At first "it was ambiguous whether she was crying for help or in a fight," the witness said, adding that police responded quickly.

"For me, it seemed every second I watched was a year, but it was pretty remarkable and impressive how well [the police] dealt with it," the witness said.

The victim is being treated for non-life-threatening injuries at the University Medical Center, Smith said. The suspect currently is being held without bond at the Albemarle-Charlottesville Joint Security Complex.

Smith also said the assault did not appear to be personal.

"We are still investigating but it appears to be a random attack," he added.

Associate Dean of Students Aaron Laushway confirmed that an active police investigation was underway regarding the incident and that the alleged assailant was in custody. He also encouraged students to take precautions when traveling at night.

"We reiterate our concern about students traveling alone at late night and in early morning," Laushway said. "Our students should always travel with others on lit pathways," adding that students should never hesitate to call the police.

"If there is a problem or suspicion of problem, please call 911," Laushway said.