The Boo Crew

Take a look in your closet.

Published September 10, 2009 in Letters, Opinion

• Patriot said:

Let's keep Hannah in our prayers.
    on Search continues for second-year Hannah Graham

• Gail Hyder Wiley said:

Documenting the physical aspects of a sexual assault is critical. There is time afterward for the victim to decide whether to pursue action against the ...
    on The Cavalier Daily :: Keep our police

• Bruno Hob said:

The main effect of the renovation, aside from needed electrical and mechanical upgrades,will be the removal of thousands of books from Alderman, as is ...
    on Library System plans Alderman renovation

• Elissa Botin said:

Isn't this a slight overreaction? I mean, this wasn't exactly a purely anti-semitic song...so a few people who weren't familiar with the play might have ...
    on FYP roll offends students in Clemons

• WeAreDoomedBecauseWeCantLaugh said:

Are you kidding me? Offended by Springtime for Hitler as Anti-Semitic? Do people not learn what Satire ianymore? The Writer, Producer, and most of the ...
    on FYP roll offends students in Clemons

Commentary

Add your $0.02, go to the comment form or follow the comment feed

a true fan
(01/01/70 12:00am)
Report
Comment

sam, you are absolutely correct. fair weather fans suck, and i'm dedicated to staying until the end of every event i go to. it's the principal that's most important.

John
(01/01/70 12:00am)
Report
Comment

I hated when Virginia football went big time. It took the focus from the socialization that made the game day experience. Fall Saturdays in the mid-70s consisted of pre-pre-game parties, pre-game parties, tailgating with alumni, and then the stagger into Scott Stadium in time to catch the Pep Band playing the Good Old Song and the Fight Song. The first half consisted of more partying, the lobbing of gallon jugs of mixed drinks over the fence, the surreptitious movement of half kegs through the stands, the bright sun shining on the coeds

John
(01/01/70 12:00am)
Report
Comment

Richmond is a division one team. They're in the FCS.

Brandon
(01/01/70 12:00am)
Report
Comment

I wish my time at UVA was marked by experiences like John's. Instead we have the "Sea of Orange" and constant bitching about the way the team is playing. I knew in applying to UVA that I was applying to a great school with a great social scene and a mediocre-at-best football team. I love football, but I did not come here for an SEC caliber program. Stop thinking we are going to have that type of team, and go back to accepting who we are and drowning your sorrows. If you take that attitude, you will be pleasantly surprised by every win, and have a killer buzz to go with it.

Tom
(01/01/70 12:00am)
Report
Comment

How lame... I'd rather have a good buzz than a good football team. What precludes having both?

Does U.Va. tolerate having bad lacrosse or soccer teams? No! Maybe this is becasue they are preppy sports and fit into the image of the University. Perhaps having a good football team is not accepted because it is a rough and tumble, "ungentlemanly" sport? Dare I even say one fit only for rednecks and the less tasteful of society. How ridiculous!

George Welsh came to Virginia and proved that football and acadmics could be partnered successfully at the University. Like it or not, a successful, legitimate athletic program enhances the image of a college overall. There is nowhere where it is written that to obtain academic standing you must have lousy athletics. Notre Dame, Southern California, Stanford and Cal-Berkley are all rated higher as universities than U.Va. according to U.S. News & World Reports, yet each have outstanding athletic, including football, programs.

Perhaps those more interested in partying and not accepting that the University of Virginia can be a school of international standing and also aspire to having a big time football program should have gone to Hampden-Sydney where they belong.

Katie
(01/01/70 12:00am)
Report
Comment

While the Sugar Bowl is NOW a BCS bowl, the 1990 UVA win, unfortunately, doesn't count as a BCS win since the BCS wasn't around until 1998.

And in reference to the partying...I went to Texas undergrad and was there for the 2005 season (you remember the one...VY in the Rose Bowl...amazing 38-35 win to end USC's winning streak) and we definitely had the best of all worlds. We all wore burnt orange, lots of guys in dress shirts, jeans and boots (it's Texas), and girls in burnt orange dresses or skirts with hats and boots, which made sneaking alcohol into the stadium ridiculously easy since they don't check boots. So by half time, most of the student section was drunk from all the pre-gaming and gaming, enjoying the band and cheerleaders, participating in the cheers, and loving that the score on our side of the board was greater than the other side.

Long story short: it's possible to have it all, lots of partying, lots of sportsmanship while still maintaining the preppiness (but in school colors mind you), having school spirit and watching the band and cheerleaders, and WINNING the game.

And I'm sorry, after that distasteful computer skit at the beginning involving an Indian with a loin cloth, and also making fun of W&M for being the "nerd" school, UVA shouldn't have lost. I remember hearing recently that the poor football performance was due to "higher academic standards" than other schools. And yet we got trounced by the "nerd" school with even higher academic standards. I think W&M was an even match (sad as that is), but UVA played horribly and sloppy.

Anyway, anyone who was offended by last years "Groh must Go" posters in the stands was simply offended by facts, and how can you be offended by facts?

seth
(01/01/70 12:00am)
Report
Comment

Al Groh's Grand Football Strategy:\n- Get the students to wear orange T-shirts.\n- Eliminate pep band, create just-another-StateU marching band.\n- Ban signs in Scott Stadium.\n- Build expensive big stadium and put moronic content on the big screen.

What's missing here? Oh yes, none of these has anything to do with the team itself.

The current football program is an embarrassment to the University. Nevermind the win/loss record- Craig Littlepage and Al Groh offend UVA traditions and student self-governance. Fire both of them, and give control of the game-day atmosphere (including the video screen) back to students.

Theo '85
(01/01/70 12:00am)
Report
Comment

I

Groh Must Go
(01/01/70 12:00am)
Report
Comment

Groh shouldn't resign. He should commit seppuku!