Subscribe to the Cavalier Daily

NEWS

Suspects attack male

ns_robbery_WB

A male reported being robbed on the 1100 block of John Street at about 1:35 a.m. Saturday.

The victim reported encountering four or five unidentified males as he rounded the corner of a building. The suspects accosted the victim and struck him before fleeing with his wallet in an unknown direction.

No further descriptions of the suspects are available, and University Police could not be reached for comment.

In an email sent to all University faculty and students, University Police Chief Michael Gibson reminded all members of the community to confine themselves to well-lighted streets while walking at night. He also encouraged people to travel in small groups for maximum safety and to avoid taking shortcuts through deserted areas.

In the case of a robbery, Gibson advised the community to cooperate fully with the perpetrator while avoiding any sudden movements. Individuals should take careful notes of any distinct physical features or clothing to file a detailed witness report, Gibson said. Police should be notified immediately after the occurrence of a crime.

University Police are encouraging any individuals who may have knowledge or information related to this incident to call Crimestoppers at 434-977-4000.

-complied by Anh Dao

Published August 29, 2011 in News

Commentary

Add your $0.02, go to the comment form or follow the comment feed

Eric Arthur Blair
(01/01/70 12:00am)
Report
Comment

So typical. These types of incidents happened all the time when I was at UVA -- and now I see that they always have and always will. Over time I caught on to a disturbing pattern in how the media and police obfuscate certain information. In a particularly shocking example, years ago, when we had a serial rapist on the loose, the police stopped including "black male" in their description. The UVA police department's handling of the Jonathan Perkins incident fits in with this pattern of cowardliness. The media and police (and so many of our other institutions) should be ashamed that they bow to the pressure of a loud, irrational, bullying minority at the expense of public safety. What are they so afraid of?

Charlottesville has a crime problem. UVA students are being prayed upon. Why are we such complacent victims?

oatka
(01/01/70 12:00am)
Report
Comment

"In the case of a robbery, Gibson advised the community to cooperate fully with the perpetrator while avoiding any sudden movements."\naka We don't want the sheep to frighten the wolves.

"Individuals should take careful notes of any distinct physical features or clothing to file a detailed witness report, Gibson said."\nThis description will be carefully concealed by the reporting media to prevent offending anyone.

"Police should be notified immediately after the occurrence of a crime."\nKey word: "after". Tell me again why Concealed Carry is bad.