Dynasty endures with fifth ACC title in a row

The No. 15 Virginia men's swimming and diving team won its 15th ACC title Saturday, its 13th title in the last 14 years. The Cavaliers totaled 626.5 points to defeat runner-up No. 21 Virginia Tech by 32 points. No. 13 North Carolina took third.

Virginia used its tremendous depth to overcome its lack of star power as Florida State senior Mateo De Angulo nabbed the meet's Most Valuable Swimmer award.

The Cavaliers won the 800 freestyle relay to jump-start their title quest Wednesday. The winning time of 6 minutes 18.35 seconds posted by seniors Peter Geissinger and David Karasek, junior Tom Barrett and sophomore Parker Camp was the second-fastest in the nation this season.

Karasek led Virginia on the second day of the tournament with a victory in the 200 individual medley, finishing just ahead of junior teammate Matt Houser. Sophomore Jan Daniec placed second in the 500 freestyle.

During Friday's action, the Cavaliers overtook North Carolina for the lead. Karasek continued his big week as he led a sweep in the 200 freestyle followed by Barrett and Camp. Geissinger added to the pivotal day with a runner-up placing in the 100 butterfly.

Sophomore Bradley Phillips opened Saturday's final heats with a second-place performance in the 1650 freestyle. After Virginia Tech stole the lead in points, a strong Virginia showing in the 200 backstroke led by junior Brady Fox in second place regained the momentum for the Cavaliers.

Geissinger posted yet another runner-up finish in the 100 freestyle, and the 400 freestyle relay squad sealed the win, finishing third.

--compiled by Ian Rappaport