Virginia braces for ACCs

Men

Though the Virginia men's and women's swimming and diving teams race at the same regular season meets, share the same coaches and divvy up the pool to hold practices at the same time, their similarities end when championship season arrives. While the No. 11 women's squad ventured to Blacksburg last week to nab its fifth consecutive ACC title, the No. 15 Virginia men stayed home waiting for their moment in the spotlight, which comes tomorrow.

"It's fun to watch the women's finals that they show on the ACC Network," senior David Karasek said. "It gets us all excited, and [we] want to jump in as well."

With most of the coaching staff at the women's meet, the men train with former Virginia swimmers and volunteer coaches for four days. Because they had already reached the taper portion of their training, Karasek said the absence of coach Mark Bernardino was not a cause for concern.

The women certainly did their part in starting the Virginia swimming and diving program off strong. The Cavaliers won four-of-five relay events contested during the four-day meet, as well as six individual races.

"It's very important to win the first relays," junior Lauren Perdue said. "It really boosts the team and gives them a lot of confidence. It lets the other teams know we're here."

Redshirt freshman Megan

Published February 22, 2012 in Sports

• Charles Mathewes said:

Patrick is a UVA graduate, by the way. Sherri was a terrific, funny, and warm human being, and the world is a more grey place without her.
    on U.Va. investment manager remembered for contributions

• Michael said:

No, UGuides got in trouble by forcing their people to drink ungodly amounts of alcohol. FYP doesn't ask their rollers to do anything dangerous at all ...
    on FYP roll offends students in Clemons

• ML NJ said:

I'm just wondering about the use of the word =pride= here. Is it used in the sense of a group as e.g. a pride of lions? Or is it being proud of something, ...
    on Charlottesville hosts Pride Festival

• Bruno Hob said:

The main effect of the renovation, aside from needed electrical and mechanical upgrades,will be the removal of thousands of books from Alderman, as is ...
    on Library System plans Alderman renovation

• Elissa Botin said:

Isn't this a slight overreaction? I mean, this wasn't exactly a purely anti-semitic song...so a few people who weren't familiar with the play might have ...
    on FYP roll offends students in Clemons