SPORTS

Cavs kick off season against Navy

spperdue_lauren_21_gsc_lauren_perdue_nc_perdue_university_of_virginia_vatb1_2731

The Virginia swim and dive team opens its 2012-2013 season with a celebration befitting the five-time defending ACC champions.

Prior to Friday’s dual meet against Navy, the Cavaliers will hold a special ceremony to honor their Olympic gold medalists Matt McLean, senior Lauren Perdue and freshman Yannick Kaeser. Virginia will also recognize the Midshipmen’s two-time Paralympic medalist Brad Snyder.

The meet presents the Virginia men’s team with a rare opportunity for vengeance. The Cavalier men have won 13 of the past 14 ACC titles, including last year’s championship. The squad, however, lost last year in Annapolis, Md. to Navy, 159-139.

Virginia’s women, meanwhile, bested Navy 159-124 last year. They hope to capitalize on a team that includes 11 NCAA qualifiers, including ACC Freshman of the Year Ellen Williamson.

After Friday’s action, Virginia immediately hits the road to swim against Pittsburgh Sunday.

Published October 26, 2012 in Swim & Dive, Sports

• Sabrina No Source said:

Jackie lied about the rape to make Randall jealous. Why are editors of the student newspaper at Jefferson's university so afraid of the truth?
    on Students produce video thanking Jackie

• James Roberts said:

Falsely accusing others of assault is a crime. The fallout from this is going to keep raining down on Jackie and UVa for years. Cavalier Daily has not ...

• Carrie Clarke said:

Publishing this in the school newspaper is extremely callous and insulting to all of the other UVa students and faculty (Dean Eramo) who have been harmed ...

• CrazyD said:

The Washington Post has a bombshell today where it was revealed that Jackie made up the UVA Junior in order to get "Randall" jealous and interested in ...

• HallieJane said:

Dear Cavalier Daily: Where on God's green earth have you been. No one was in a better position to discover Jackie was lying - Was there a party that ...