Fire department responds to blaze on Wertland St.

By the time the Charlottesville Fire Department responded to a house fire at 5:11 a.m. Monday, the front porch of the 1256 Wertland Street residence was entirely engulfed in flames.

The blaze was reported by a garbage truck driver who was making a morning round when he saw it, Fire Department spokesman Richard Jones said. One of the house’s occupants then woke up, saw the fire and evacuated all the other occupants safely.

First responders found all residents accounted for. No injuries were reported.

The porch fire was quickly extinguished, but firefighters remained on scene to check for additional hot spots and potential fires hidden below the exterior brick on the porch.

Residents are temporarily staying at the Red Roof Inn as the house is being repaired. “University officials and the fire department are working closely to make sure the students are taken care of,” Jones said.

The cause of the blaze has not yet been determined. The City’s fire marshal is currently conducting an investigation, Jones said.

An earlier version of this story incorrectly stated that the fire took place at 1254 Wertland Street.