Former Va. senator Webb will speak at Final Exercises

nsjimwebbspeakerjimwebbsofficialsite

The University announced Thursday that former U.S. Senator Jim Webb (D-Va.) will deliver the commencement address at the 184th Final Exercises May 19.

University President Teresa Sullivan selected Webb from recommendations made by a joint committee of students and faculty members.

Webb is a former Secretary of the Navy, decorated Vietnam veteran, journalist, filmmaker and author. He graduated from the U.S. Naval Academy in 1968, served with the Fifth Marine Regiment in Vietnam and was awarded the Navy Cross, the Silver Star Medal, two Bronze Star Medals and two Purple Hearts during his career. He received a law degree from Georgetown University in 1975.

Webb began his six-year term as Senator in 2007 and shortly thereafter introduced the comprehensive “GI Bill for the 21st Century” — a bill that increased educational benefits for those who have been serving in the military since 9/11. Within a year he had helped shepherd the most significant veterans legislation since World War II through Congress.

Webb is a celebrated writer, having authored nine books, including “Fields of Fire” and “A Time to Fight.” He was a writer and executive-producer of the 2000 film “Rules of Engagement,” starring Tommy Lee Jones and Samuel L. Jackson.

Published January 18, 2013 in FP test, News

• Charles Mathewes said:

Patrick is a UVA graduate, by the way. Sherri was a terrific, funny, and warm human being, and the world is a more grey place without her.
    on U.Va. investment manager remembered for contributions

• Michael said:

No, UGuides got in trouble by forcing their people to drink ungodly amounts of alcohol. FYP doesn't ask their rollers to do anything dangerous at all ...
    on FYP roll offends students in Clemons

• Bruno Hob said:

The main effect of the renovation, aside from needed electrical and mechanical upgrades,will be the removal of thousands of books from Alderman, as is ...
    on Library System plans Alderman renovation

• ML NJ said:

I'm just wondering about the use of the word =pride= here. Is it used in the sense of a group as e.g. a pride of lions? Or is it being proud of something, ...
    on Charlottesville hosts Pride Festival

• Elissa Botin said:

Isn't this a slight overreaction? I mean, this wasn't exactly a purely anti-semitic song...so a few people who weren't familiar with the play might have ...
    on FYP roll offends students in Clemons