A&E

The Band Perry 'Pioneers' into country rock

ae_bandperry1

In their new album ‘Pioneer,’ The Band Perry, a trio of siblings, has stepped out of their comfort zone and embraced an edgier sound. The band’s sophomore record moves past the innocence of its first effort and into more beat-heavy and darker tracks, allowing lead singer Kimberly Perry to solidify her place in the ranks of country-rocker chicks such as Miranda Lambert and Carrie Underwood.

On the band’s eponymous first album, Kimberly croons “I’ll be wearing white when I come into your kingdom” on the ever-popular “If I Die Young”. This song is paralleled on ‘Pioneer’ with the album’s lead single “Better Dig Two,” a banjo-plucking ballad that is also about death, but approaches it in a much different way, with Kimberly serenading her lover — “If you go before I do, I’m gonna tell the grave digger that he better dig two.” While “If I Die Young” is the innocent anthem of The Band Perry’s debut, “Better Dig Two” is the story of their crossover into fast-paced country rock.

And rock is one thing The Band Perry does well. A standout is “Forever Mine Nevermind,” a track that opens with a Queen-style chorus of “na na’s” and progresses into a drum and electric guitar-heavy chorus with lyrics about the end of a relationship. In the band’s newest single “DONE”, Kimberly shouts, “Mama always told me I should play nice/She didn’t know you when she gave me that advice” and shows listeners that she can get down and dirty.

Returning to its roots, the band produces a fantastic melodious ballad in title track “Pioneer,” which reminds me of the original Band Perry.

As with every album, there are a few sour notes. “I’m a Keeper” is tiring, with just a little bit too much going on, and “Mother Like Mine”, while sweet when sung by the siblings, falters in the chorus and seems to strain Kimberly’s voice.

Overall, however, I was pleasantly surprised by ‘Pioneer.’ The band’s first album was good, but the overuse of metaphorical language and the similar sounding songs made me tire of it quickly. ‘Pioneer,’ on the other hand, offers a larger variety of sounds, and upon listening it wasn’t difficult for me to distinguish one track from another.

Simply put, steering away from the band’s album because you were put off by the two lead singles would be a heinous crime. I enjoy the band’s transition into country rock — the group has the musical skills and Kimberly has the pipes to make it work. Fans of The Band Perry and country music lovers in general will certainly enjoy.

Published April 17, 2013 in tableau

• Sabrina No Source said:

Jackie lied about the rape to make Randall jealous. Why are editors of the student newspaper at Jefferson's university so afraid of the truth?
    on Students produce video thanking Jackie

• James Roberts said:

Falsely accusing others of assault is a crime. The fallout from this is going to keep raining down on Jackie and UVa for years. Cavalier Daily has not ...

• Carrie Clarke said:

Publishing this in the school newspaper is extremely callous and insulting to all of the other UVa students and faculty (Dean Eramo) who have been harmed ...

• CrazyD said:

The Washington Post has a bombshell today where it was revealed that Jackie made up the UVA Junior in order to get "Randall" jealous and interested in ...

• HallieJane said:

Dear Cavalier Daily: Where on God's green earth have you been. No one was in a better position to discover Jackie was lying - Was there a party that ...