Dean Meredith Woo to step down this May

Six-year term closes with hopes for authorship, scholarship during sabbatical

College Dean Meredith Woo will step down in May, she announced in an email to students Monday morning. Woo has served as dean of the graduate and undergraduate Arts & Sciences schools since 2008.

Woo, who extended her initial five-year contract an additional year last spring, plans to take a sabbatical to focus on writing a book before returning to teaching at the University.

“Together we have accomplished things that five and half years ago I wouldn’t have thought we would have accomplished, and I think it is time to step down,” Woo said. “I would like to come back to teaching and writing. It gives me more time to work with students.”

During her time as dean, Woo launched several key initiatives, including the Quantitative Collaborative, which works to bring together researchers from different departments and colleges.

“Deans at every university love to talk about interdisciplinary research, [but] Dean Woo made serious investments in the effort toward interdisciplinary work,” said Thomas Guterbock, director for the Center of Survey Research.

Woo was recognized this summer by the Women’s Center with the 2013 Elizabeth Zintl award for leadership. The award is given to women leaders for their professionalism and position as a role model for students.

“The University greatly appreciates [Woo’s] contributions, and believes the College and Graduate School of Arts & Sciences is positioned well to take advantage of the opportunities ahead,” University spokesperson McGregor McCance said.

The search committee to find Woo’s replacement will be formed by Provost John Simon and chaired by English Prof. Jahan Ramazani. The committee will be formed sometime in the coming weeks, Simon said. A list of finalists, based on an international search, will likely be sent to Simon in the spring, he said.

“The new dean will be asked to work proactively with the administration to help move forward the University strategic plan,” Woo said.

In her remaining eight months as dean, Woo said she will continue to introduce new proposals in education. “I am very interested in rethinking our general education, however, I’m not sure I can implement meaningful changes within one year,” Woo said.

Correction: The original headline for this article misleadingly said “Dean Woo to leave University this May.” As the article reflects, Woo will take a sabbatical before returning to teaching.