Virginia ABC changes policies following student incident

Commission directive proposes reevaluation, updating law enforcement procedures

In the past several months, the Virginia Alcoholic Beverage Control Bureau of Law Enforcement has committed to reevaluating and updating its policies following public backlash after a University student’s arrest in the spring. Changes mostly center on provisions that make ABC agents more identifiable in field situations.

Last April, third-year College student Elizabeth Daly was arrested and charged with three felonies after several plainclothes ABC agents mistook her case of sparkling water for beer in Barracks Road shopping center. Daly fled the scene with her sorority friends when one of the agents pulled a gun and startled Daly. While driving away, she grazed two of the agents with her vehicle.

The charges have since been dropped and various changes in Virginia ABC policies have been enacted to clarify the appropriate procedure in future situations.

At least one agent present must now be wearing the full Bureau uniform “during enforcement operations in parking lots of off premises establishments,” ABC Director of Enforcement Shawn Walker said.

Part of the resolution involves documenting the use of weaponry in applicable situations.

“An agent will prepare a ‘Use of Force Report’ form whenever any Bureau member points their weapon at an individual or any Bureau member in the line of duty damages private property,” Walker said.

In a recent operational directive to all ABC employees, Walker outlined the procedural updates and instructed ABC employees to follow the proposed changes before they officially take effect. Also among the changes is a requirement that agents wear a throwover labeled “ABC Special Agent” when approaching possible perpetrators after exiting an undercover vehicle.

These measures have been taken “so an individual would recognize that person as a law enforcement agent,” ABC spokeswoman Kathleen Shaw said.