Rowing completes fall season with two wins

Cavaliers win varisty eights, fours at home race

<p>Virginia&#8217;s &#8220;A&#8221; varsity eight won its race at the Rivanna Romp, beating Louisville</p>

Virginia’s “A” varsity eight won its race at the Rivanna Romp, beating Louisville

The Virginia rowing team closed out its fall season in nearby Earlysville, Va. Sunday, picking up two wins at the Rivanna Romp. The team hosted boats from Louisville, Oklahoma, Old Dominion, Pennsylvania and West Virginia.

Virginia won the varsity eight competition, with Virginia’s A team crossing the finish line at 13:17.1, more than six seconds ahead of Louisville’s A team at 13:23.4. Virginia B and C teams finished in third and fourth, respectively. The Cavaliers’ D team picked up an eighth place finish.

The Cavaliers were similarly successful in the varsity fours, as the A team finished with a time of 14:50.3 to take first place, again ahead of Louisville A, which finished in 14:55.6. The B and C teams would finish fourth and fifth, respectively, with only the Penn A team sneaking ahead.

Virginia’s only loss at the event came in the novice eights, as Penn’s A team picked up a win with a time of 14:40.0, more than 25 seconds ahead of Louisville’s A at 15:05.9. Virginia picked up a third and fourth finish from the A and B teams, respectively.

The team will next see action in March, as it hosts a scrimmage against Michigan State to open the spring season.