University appoints new CIO

Search committee launched to find vice president for digital initiatives

<p>Virginia Evans (above) was recently named the University&#8217;s Chief Information Officer. She will transition from holding the same position in an interim role.</p>

Virginia Evans (above) was recently named the University’s Chief Information Officer. She will transition from holding the same position in an interim role.

The University announced last week the appointment of Virginia Evans to the position of Chief Information Officer. Evans, who served as the University’s interim CIO, will head the technical aspects of the University’s information technology systems.

Evans said she hopes to find the best methods of IT for the University and to improve the systems in place, naming efficiency as one of her biggest goals.

“If a system is inefficient or there’s a better way to do it, we can collaborate with others,” she said. “We’re open to and encourage collaboration and partnership with anyone who wants to work with us.”

A search has also been launched to hire a vice president for digital initiatives, a new position at the University.

University spokesperson McGregor McCance said the decision to create the position began with the departure of James Hilton, the former University Vice President and CIO, last July.

Following Hilton’s departure, University President Teresa Sullivan created a review committee with the goal of “examining the University’s current IT leadership model and … recommending potential modifications,” McCance said.

The committee recommended Hilton’s former role be divided into two separate, but integrated positions.

Archie Holmes, vice provost for educational innovation and interdisciplinary studies, is heading the search committee for the digital initiatives vice president.

“The successful leader will work with all units across Grounds to create an integrated, strategic vision for agency-wide information technology,” Holmes said in a press release.

Law Prof. J.H. Verkerke, also on the committee, said they will conduct a nationwide search for candidates.

The new vice president for digital initiatives will focus on the University’s long term vision for IT, while the CIO will focus more on “operational IT demands,” McCance said.

The vice president will concentrate on “development and implementation of IT strategy,” McCance said, and will report directly to the president.

The CIO will be responsible for several technological aspects of the University, ranging from data servers to the administrative systems for the academic branches of the University.

The IT office has been working with students to create a more efficient means of technological use. A student member has been added to the advisory board for SIS and Student Council has been contacted to offer perspective as well. The IT office has also been working with students to develop a mobile SIS platform.

“I think there are a lot of good things IT can do to help enable the mission of the University, and I’m really excited about being able to move forward,” Evans said.