Bloomberg Businessweek ranks Commerce School no. 2 in country

McIntire program in top two ranking nine years running

Bloomberg Businessweek’s national rankings of undergraduate business schools listed the Commerce School as second-best in the country. The top spot went to the University of Notre Dame’s Mendoza College of Business.

The list surveys 132 undergraduate business or commerce schools. The magazine first published its rankings in 2006, and Commerce Dean Carl Zeithaml said it is a reliable source for business school rankings,

“[Bloomberg] takes into consideration a wide variety of factors, including student and recruiter input,” Zeithaml said in an email.

The score each school receives is a result of a number of weighted factors: 30 percent student assessment, 30 percent academic quality, 20 percent employer opinion, 10 percent median salary and 10 percent feeder school, or which programs send the highest proportion of students to top MBA programs and graduate schools.

“McIntire is the only program in the nation to be ranked either first or second all nine years of the ranking,” Zeithaml said. “Rankings can be very unpredictable and sometimes subject to factors beyond our control, so I am always very pleased that we maintain our position among the elite undergraduate business programs in the nation and the world.”

The McIntire program received 577 applicants this year, more than in any previous year.

“Many people pay attention to rankings, particularly students from outside the U.S., so we believe that it makes a major difference in the quality and quantity of students applying to U.Va.,” Zeithaml said.

Zeithaml praised students and faculty in the Commerce School for their part in maintaining such a successful and competitive program.

“We have terrific students, faculty, staff, and alumni and friends, all of whom work together to achieve amazing outcomes, both in terms of the education and experience that we provide our students and the career opportunities that our graduates are able to secure,” Zeithaml said. “Finally, the fact that we are part of U.Va. gives us a great foundation on which to build.”