Shooting Star Foundation creates open forums of dialogue

Organization discusses dangers of party drugs

lfshootingstarsmbronfin035

The Shooting Star Foundation aims to raise awareness of the dangerous effects of party drugs and promote open discussion within the University community.

lfshootingstarsmbronfin068

The Shooting Star Foundation held their first major event of the year sunday evening, an FOA with sorority Delta Gamma.

The Shooting Star Foundation is working to shine a light within the University community this school year, aiming to raise awareness about the consequences of various party drugs through a series of events. The organization was founded following the passing of Shelley Goldsmith, a second-year College student whose death last year was linked to the use of the popular drug MDMA, or “Molly”.

“The first thing is to facilitate dialogues within U.Va. on the dangers associated with party drug use and, in a larger sense, any risky behavior,” said third-year Commerce student Elyse Eilerman, president of Shooting Star. “Also, we’re trying to honor and commemorate anyone within the U.Va. community that’s been impacted by these issues.”

The co-founders’ personal connections to the cause has encouraged the group to develop a dedicated set of individuals who care deeply about the issue.

“The girls are really connected to the cause and their passion for it really inspired me to join it,” second-year College student Alison Snow said. “The group of girls that I am working with [is] just really awesome, which made the organization more fun to be a part of.”

The group aims to raise awareness broadly about drug use at the University, and create a platform for discussion about its impact.

“People deserve to know more about MDMA and the effects that it can have,” Eilerman said. “We can give [students] an opportunity to think about what they’re doing and not just make decisions without fully considering the consequences.”

Sunday, the group held its first major event of the year, an educational and commemorative event with the sorority Delta Gamma.

“[The event] encompasses everything that we’re trying to do,” Eilerman said. “It’s a holistic event and then beyond that, we’d love to partner with other organizations like Sustained Dialogue just to get people thinking about this and also to remember everyone within the U.Va. community [who] has been impacted.”

The event featured various speakers from the student body who discussed how they were impacted by drug use.

“This [event] entails the initial steps in creating a community that can freely engage in dialogue revolving around drug use without fear of judgment,” said Shooting Star Vice President Nadine Hussein, a third-year Commerce student. “With it, we hope to highlight the need for an extensive discussion that will hopefully become an inherent one on Grounds for years to come.”

The organization plans to host a Battle of the Bands and several poetry slams in the coming months to encourage different forms of discussion on the issue of party drugs.

Published August 31, 2014 in Life

• Charles Mathewes said:

Patrick is a UVA graduate, by the way. Sherri was a terrific, funny, and warm human being, and the world is a more grey place without her.
    on U.Va. investment manager remembered for contributions

• Michael said:

No, UGuides got in trouble by forcing their people to drink ungodly amounts of alcohol. FYP doesn't ask their rollers to do anything dangerous at all ...
    on FYP roll offends students in Clemons

• ML NJ said:

I'm just wondering about the use of the word =pride= here. Is it used in the sense of a group as e.g. a pride of lions? Or is it being proud of something, ...
    on Charlottesville hosts Pride Festival

• Bruno Hob said:

The main effect of the renovation, aside from needed electrical and mechanical upgrades,will be the removal of thousands of books from Alderman, as is ...
    on Library System plans Alderman renovation

• Elissa Botin said:

Isn't this a slight overreaction? I mean, this wasn't exactly a purely anti-semitic song...so a few people who weren't familiar with the play might have ...
    on FYP roll offends students in Clemons