LIFE

The mountains are calling

Reflections on summer camp

lifeheadshots_8

Peyton’s column runs biweekly Wednesdays. She can be reached at p.williams@cavalierdaily.com.

I grew up going to an all-girls, six-week summer camp nestled in the mountains of Virginia. Year after year, my friends would pester me, questioning why in the world I would want to spend my entire summer away from home without a phone, a computer or — gasp — boys. Every summer, I would go back for reasons I couldn’t fully explain.

This home in the hills was where I learned to love fully and live intentionally. Camp had the unique power to erase all of my anxieties and fears — it was the one place where I was unafraid to be myself and never doubted my self-worth. It was my glimpse of heaven in the mountains.

This summer I returned to camp for my 10th year — my second as a counselor. I’ve been told by some that I should get a “real job” or slave away at some internship. But I learned more about myself this summer than I would have anyplace else.

After a tough school year, returning to camp reminded me of the natural beauty that often gets lost among the piles of papers and books and business. It reminded me of the love found and fostered through my relationships, and what true community looks like. No matter where you are or what you are doing, you never feel lonely at camp. You feel deeply loved by everyone around you, something I consider an immeasurable and incomparable blessing.

After six weeks of bliss, it was hard to say goodbye. I never imagined my classmates could understand the love and joy I experienced this summer. But as I’ve settled into school and reconnected with friends, I realize how ignorant I have been. Each person in our lives is entirely capable of loving the way camp friends love. Each person holds the capacity to be true and honest and intentional in all they do.

All that’s missing is an atmosphere of trust, vulnerability and loyalty – an atmosphere which we are fully capable of cultivating if we wish to do so. As I move into this school year, I hope God gives me the strength to remember all camp has taught me and I hope I find the courage to love those who have no mountains to remember.

Published August 26, 2014 in Columns, Life Column, Life

• Gordon Westerly said:

"They put themselves in a dangerous position by clearly hurting someone on a level that remains unclear and all the while operating a fraternity that ...
    on The Cavalier Daily :: Being Phi Psi

• CLAS93 said:

Chased from your home by a mob, subject to death threats, unable to go to class because your own instructors are so blindly biased -- this is U.Va.? We ...
    on The Cavalier Daily :: Being Phi Psi

• Natalie said:

If Teresa Sullivan wanted the mob punished, the mob would already be punished. It's not a secret who smashed out the windows at Phi Psi. It's not a ...
    on The Cavalier Daily :: Being Phi Psi

• UVa_reader said:

This article should be required reading for faculty and students who rushed to judgment and used the RS article to unleash a torrent of unjustified criticism ...
    on The Cavalier Daily :: Being Phi Psi

• Gordon Westerly said:

He said what he had to say. Everyone is walking on eggshells so as not to offend anyone and get turned into a target (again).
    on The Cavalier Daily :: Being Phi Psi