University, Charlottesville, Albemarle leaders form safety advisory committee

Committee to audit current state of public safety

Officials from the University, Albemarle County and the City of Charlottesville announced Friday that they would collectively form a new community safety advisory committee to improve safety measures around the area. This initiative follows the sudden disappearance of second-year College student Hannah Graham.

The committee will focus on both immediate and long-term steps that can be taken to better public safety and security at the University and the surrounding neighborhoods and commercial districts. The committee will also oversee an audit of current public safety efforts.

The committee plans to work towards its goals by installing more blue light emergency phones, surveillance cameras, and additional lighting according to a University press release. They plan to identify potential crime “hot spots” by a thorough analysis of crime data and high foot traffic areas. They will also implement new practices in policing and spreading alcohol and safety awareness.

This collaboration was discussed in a meeting on September 30th, attended by Charlottesville Mayor Satyendra Huja, University President Sullivan, City Manager Maurice Jones, Albemarle County Executive Tom Foley, Albemarle County Board of Supervisors Chairwoman Jane Dittmar and University Executive Vice President and Chief Operating Officer Patrick Hogan.

“The City, County and University have enjoyed a strong working relationship on issues of mutual interest for many years,” Huja said in the press release. “The safety of our entire community, including the students, faculty and staff of the University, is of the utmost importance to all of us ... I believe this new safety effort is a very positive development in the longstanding relationship with our partners.”

President Sullivan, who recently formed a similar safety working group at the University of Virginia said that the “safety and well-being of our students, faculty and staff remains our foremost concern.”

According to the release, the committee membership will be finalized this week and a its first meeting will be held in the next two weeks.

“Feeling safe and actually being safe is a basic right of those who live in our community.” said Dittmar. Confident of the potential of this initiative he added, “We commend President Sullivan’s leadership convening us to coordinate safety initiatives among our governmental entities. Without a doubt, this will benefit the greater Charlottesville area.”