Mark Bowles appointed as new BOV member

McGuireWoods executive VP will step in following Miller's resignation

<p>Bowles has served on the James Madison University Board of Visitors from 2003 to 2011 and is currently a member of the University of Virginia Center for Politics Advisory Board.</p>

Bowles has served on the James Madison University Board of Visitors from 2003 to 2011 and is currently a member of the University of Virginia Center for Politics Advisory Board.

Mark T. Bowles was appointed to the Board of Visitors by Gov. Terry McAuliffe Friday. Bowles, who will replace Dr. Edward D. Miller, who resigned Apr. 13, will begin a one-year term July 1.

“I am honored to serve the University of Virginia as a member of the Board of Visitors,” Bowles said. “This is an exciting time for U.Va. and I am eager to work to advance the University’s mission.”

While the appointment process is directed by the Governor’s Office, President Teresa Sullivan said she was pleased with McAuliffe’s selection.

“Gov. McAuliffe’s appointment of Mark Bowles to the University of Virginia Board of Visitors is great news for the U.Va. family,” Sullivan said. “Mr. Bowles is an ardent supporter of public higher education within the commonwealth and his experience in the public and private sectors will serve the University well. “

University spokesperson Anthony de Bruyn said Bowles has served on the James Madison University Board of Visitors from 2003-11 and is currently a member of the University of Virginia Center for Politics Advisory Board.

Bowles currently works as Executive Vice President of McGuireWoods Consulting LLC and is also a partner with McGuireWoods LLP and has headed multiple pro-bono legal initiatives to support the Virginia community, including the Tangier Island Free Clinic, the Federation of Virginia Food Banks and “Ashley’s Law,” which mandates certain safety protocols be followed in emergency-response situations.

Upon the conclusion of this one year term, Bowles will be eligible to serve up to two full four-year terms if re-appointed.