Sullivan appointed to American Academy of Arts

Prestigious honor society serves as leading independent policy research institution

<p>To better connect with potential minority applicants, Sullivan said the University has sought to obtain feedback from students who both accepted and denied their offer of admission.</p>

To better connect with potential minority applicants, Sullivan said the University has sought to obtain feedback from students who both accepted and denied their offer of admission.

University President Teresa Sullivan was appointed to the American Academy of Arts and Sciences Wednesday, a prestigious honor society and leading center for independent policy research.

The Academy calls together American leaders from the academic, business and government sectors to address paramount challenges in the fields of science, engineering and technology policy, social policy and American institutions, global security and international affairs and the humanities, arts and education. The new class also includes winners of other prestigious honors such as the Nobel and Pulitzer Prizes and Grammy awards. Fellow inductees of

Sullivan’s class in the Academy include Terry Gross, host and executive producer of NPR’s “Fresh Air,” Philip Knight, co-founder of Nike and University alumna Janet A. Napolitano, president of the University of California System.

University spokesperson Matthew Charles elaborated on the actions taken by inducted members of the academy.

“Academy members come together to examine the most pressing global issues,” Charles said in an email. “An independent research center, the Academy conducts multidisciplinary, nonpartisan research that provides actionable solutions for complex challenges.”

Sullivan expressed her gratitude for being appointed to the Academy.

“I am honored to be included in such esteemed company,” Sullivan said. “When I reflect on the Academy’s Class of 2015 and all of the inductees over the past 235 years, as well as the personal achievements that these inductees represent, I am struck by the magnitude of the honor."

Sullivan took office as University President in 2010 and has since spearheaded the 2012 Cornerstone Plan to map the University’s plans going forward into its third century.

Sullivan also made contributions to the creation of the University’s Data Science Institute, which will graduate its first class this May. When describing the vision she had for the Institute during its conception, Sullivan said a large focus would be on developing new ways to acquire, interpret and understand large amounts of research data.

One of the oldest academic societies in the United States, the American Academy of Arts and Sciences has elected countless figures that have made significant progress in scientific and social thinking since its founding in 1780.

Past members include 32 other University faculty members including former University president, John T. Casteen III as well as other notable historical figures such as George Washington and Benjamin Franklin.