Noah Gundersen serenades the Southern

Singer/songwriter brings dark new tunes to Charlottesville

Singer-songwriter Noah Gundersen will perform Wednesday night at the Southern Café and Music Hall on the Downtown Mall.

Gundersen is touring in support of his second full-length LP, “Carry the Ghost,” released in August. In addition to his two full-length records, Gundersen has released four EPs, but this most recent effort shows the most substantial musical growth. “Carry the Ghost” is a deeply introspective and existential work, containing pretty heavy lyrics for a 26-year-old — “We’re just born and we are dying,” he sings in “Empty From the Start.”

Gundersen’s music also wrestles with questions of spirituality, resulting in lyrics that his listeners can relate to in terms of vulnerability and uncertainty.

“Carry the Ghost” has a much darker sound than his previous work — when asked about his new material, Gundersen said, “We’re always changing, being influenced by experience, by interaction.”

Tonight, the artist will attempt to share these experiences in a live concert setting with the help of his band, featuring his brother and sister, Jonathan and Abby, along with friends Armon Jay and Micah Simler.

The new album, “Carry the Ghost,” is out now, and Gundersen will perform songs from the release onstage tonight at the Southern at 9 p.m. Tickets are $12 online or $15 at the door.