U.Va. student Russell Bogue awarded Rhodes Scholarship

College fourth year one of 32 students selected from U.S.

<p>Russell&nbsp;Bogue, a Politics Honors major, says the experience will serve as an important step to becoming a college professor.</p>

Russell Bogue, a Politics Honors major, says the experience will serve as an important step to becoming a college professor.

Fourth-year College student Russell Bogue was awarded a Rhodes Scholarship Saturday, one of 32 from the United States and the only student from the University to receive the scholarship.

The prestigious scholarship covers expenses for two years of graduate study at Oxford University in Oxford, England.

Bogue, a politics honors major, says the experience will serve as an important step toward becoming a college professor.

“Oxford is an incredible academic institution,” Bogue said. “It’s a fantastic opportunity to learn and grow. You’re also bringing together a community of people who challenge you and have interesting conversations with you.”

The process of applying for the scholarship began over the summer for Bogue. He submitted his initial application before the Oct. 1 deadline, then interviewed with the University’s Center for Undergraduate Excellence alongside a handful of other students, after which the University nominated him for the scholarship.

A personal statement, resume and eight letters of recommendation later, Bogue was notified that he had been selected for the final round of interviews, hosted this past weekend.

Out of about a dozen students interviewed in his district — the scholarship breaks up the country into 16 districts — two were selected to receive the scholarship.

Bogue said the process was stressful, particularly the interviews, but feels extremely grateful, especially to all those who have helped him to this point.

“I do not believe I would be where I am today without the support I’ve had along the way,” he said.

Bogue said the scholarship selection process includes a “great deal of luck,” but this honor is by no means his first. In his senior year of high school at Choate Rosemary Hall, he was designated the Male Presidential Scholar for Connecticut. He is also a University Jefferson Scholar and a Truman Scholar.

At the University, Bogue is a member of the squash team, serves as the Honor Committee’s vice chair for trials and is the editor-in-chief of Seriatim, the University’s journal of American politics. He is also a member of Beta Theta Pi fraternity, policy chair for One in Four, a bible study leader for the Reformed University Fellowship and a former Opinion editor at The Cavalier Daily.

Bogue is the 51st University student to receive a Rhodes scholarship. Evan Behrle and Charlie Tyson, both class of 2014 graduates, were the most recent recipients of the prestigious award.