Darden expands to D.C. for executive MBA program

Washington home to largest population of U.Va. alumni in country, Venkataraman says

<p>Classes will begin at the Darden facility in D.C. in August.</p>

Classes will begin at the Darden facility in D.C. in August.

The Darden School announced the opening of a new facility in Rosslyn, Virginia, last week for candidates pursuing an MBA for Executives or Global MBA for Executives degree.

Rosslyn — an area in Arlington — is located across the Potomac River from Georgetown in Washington, D.C.

Washington, D.C. is the ideal location, with daily direct flights and trains making the program accessible to anyone living in the vicinity, Sankaran Venkataraman, senior associate dean for Faculty and Research at Darden, said. Furthermore, the classes will meet Friday through Sunday once a month, making it convenient for students with other time constraints.

“D.C. is a global gateway and public policy ecosystem, where business and government intersect,” Venkataraman said in an email statement.

In addition to executive education, Venkataraman said the school also carries out other activities in the D.C. area, including alumni and recruiting activities, conferences and events.

The new location is especially designed for executives who are working or have other, additional full-time engagements, Venkataraman said.

“D.C. is home to the largest population of U.Va. alumni in the country, and Darden has a dynamic network in the D.C. area,” he said. “This opens up the market for our executive format MBA degree to a wider population.”

Venkataraman said the idea for an executive program has been in the works for some time and was instigated by former Darden Dean Robert Bruner.

“The feedback we received from our current and past Executive MBA and Global Executive MBA students about location preferences and our own study of the market also prompted us to take action now,” he said.

The executive MBA program was designed by Darden professors to mirror the experience and curriculum of the residential program in Charlottesville, Venkataraman said. Upon completion of academic requirements, students from the executive program will receive an MBA degree from the University.

“It is not an independent operation — it will be administered from our Charlottesville administrative center,” Venkataraman said.

Venkataraman said the same faculty who teach in the residential program in Charlottesville will also teach in the executive MBA program.

“Because the faculty travels to your location, they reinforce overarching themes from one class to the next,” he said. “They get to know you well and are committed to your personal and professional development.”

Typical candidates will have at least six to seven years of work experience, preferably with a supervisory role, Venkataraman said.

“We look first for the potential to become a responsible leader in the world of practice,” Venkataraman said. “Good analytical and communication skills are also important for an executive education student.”