Virginia hires Joanna Hardin as softball head coach

After Blake Miller’s resignation as the Virginia softball head coach this past season, the search for a Cavalier successor began. That search was completed with the hiring of former McNeese State head coach Joanna Hardin in early June.

Hardin will be taking over a softball program that has gone 42-116 over the past three seasons. She will be looking to help turn things around for a program that hasn’t had the type of success it would have liked over the last decade, having only made one NCAA Tournament appearance.

Hardin spent a total of four seasons with the McNeese State Cowgirls, serving as an assistant coach for the first two before taking over as head coach in her third season.

She brings a track record that just might have what it takes to launch the Cavaliers to the next level. Hardin led McNeese State to an outstanding 79-34 record over the past two seasons, and helped the Cowgirls reach the NCAA Tournament this past season.

Led by rising junior Allison Davis — who received All-ACC Second Team honors this past spring — and a young group of talented rising sophomores who have a full season of experience under their belt, Virginia has the talent in place to be successful.

With the start of the season still months away, Hardin will look to help the Cavaliers improve and get ready for next spring.