Pat Lampkin to leave for fall sabbatical

Vice president and chief student affairs officer to return in spring semester

<p>Pat Lampkin works as the University's&nbsp;vice president and chief student affairs officer.&nbsp;</p>

Pat Lampkin works as the University's vice president and chief student affairs officer. 

Pat Lampkin, vice president and chief student affairs officer, will be taking a semester-long sabbatical starting next week.

Susan Davis, the University’s associate vice president of student affairs, will hold the position until Lampkin returns.

Lampkin’s semester-long leave is offered as a part of her contract.

“Since I have been working in this role for the past 16 years, I decided that it was time to step away for a semester and be able to think without needing to respond quickly so that I can be refreshed and energized when I return next semester,” Lampkin said in an email statement.

Most recently, Lampkin has worked to create leadership programming for students through establishing programs like the Meriwether Lewis Institute for Citizen Leadership. She has also reorganized, as well as expanded, the Career Center in Bryant Hall as another part of President Teresa Sullivan’s Cornerstone Plan.

Though Lampkin is leaving next week, both she and her interim successor said student affairs at the University will continue as usual.

Davis is currently in the process of transitioning, Lampkin said.

“I expect student affairs and the University to run very smoothly in my absence, and I look forward to seeing the initiatives and progress of the division after the fall,” Lampkin said.

Davis, who has worked as associate vice president for student affairs, said the change in leadership will not undermine the commitment that the Division of Student Affairs has to its students.

“Pat Lampkin and I have worked together since 2004 and have been planning for her brief time away this fall,” Davis said in an email statement. “I am committed to ensuring that our students have an exceptional student experience throughout their time at the University.”