False Z Society Trump endorsement letters posted on Grounds

Organization alleges IMP Society wrote prank letter

<p>The Z Society renounced the letter and claimed it to be a prank from the IMP society.</p>

The Z Society renounced the letter and claimed it to be a prank from the IMP society.

Several copies of a forged Z Society letter endorsing Donald Trump were posted around Grounds Tuesday morning. The Z Society denied its involvement in the incident, and claimed the letter was a prank by the semi-secret IMP Society. The IMP Society, which has a history of pranking the Z Society, has yet to confirm involvement in the incident.

The false endorsement letter said the Z Society believes the country has changed negatively since 1892, and that it believes Trump will restore the state of the nation.

“We can no longer watch passively as our beloved country cripples beneath the overly politically correct nature of modern society,” the letter read.

The fake letter included a quote from the Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. and emphasized the University’s role in the upcoming election.

“This historic institution, the [sic] University of Virginia, is a microcosm of history, and therefore it is our honored duty to uphold the status quo at all costs,” the letter read. “Our preferred candidate shares our belief that the consequences of heterogeneity far outweigh its benefits and ultimately threaten our pure pursuit of American Prestige.”

Students did not immediately recognize the letter as a fabrication; at least one response letter appeared on Grounds Tuesday criticizing the Z Society. The letter, signed by “E.,” said “I have to assume the Z Society made their decision only after many hours of research and critical thinking.”

The Z Society responded to the incident in an email to The Cavalier Daily, condemning the prank.

“Let it be known that this letter was not produced by the Z Society, and we completely disavow all of its contents,” the Z Society said. “These letters were posted by the IMP Society as a prank. This prank was juvenile, and the IMP Society should be ashamed. The members of that organization thought hateful rhetoric and election mockery were appropriate topics for a joke.”

The Z Society’s statement also emphasized how the incident may have affected members of the community.

“It is the responsibility of each member of our community to advance the University to a place of inclusion and belonging for all,” the Z Society said. “When one individual chooses to act in contrast to this, the Community of Trust is fractured.”

Dean of Students Allen Groves weighed in on the fake letter in an email to the University Wednesday afternoon.

"The timing of the letter, the messages contained therein, and the use of a quote attributed to Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. has upset and angered many students and other members of the community, and they are right to use their voices to express these strong feelings," Groves said. "I join them in that sentiment."

The Z Society ended its statement with a desire for reflection amongst the University community.

“We should not pride ourselves on the current state of Grounds, as evident by the act this morning,” the statement read. “Our University must look forward and decide who we want to become.”

Conor Kelly, the head of the IMP Society, did not immediately respond to a request for comment.