​The Southern presents strong lineup for Major and the Monbacks

Opener, headliner both impress

<p>Major and the Monbacks brought a calmer mood than their opening act</p>

Major and the Monbacks brought a calmer mood than their opening act

Thursday night, Rainbow Kitten Surprise opened for Major and the Monbacks at The Southern Café and Music Hall. Many in attendance turned out specifically for the burgeoning opening act, but the venue lost few if any concertgoers once Major and the Monbacks took the stage.

RKS entered with unbounded energy and instantly captivated the audience. Wonderful and weird, lead singer Sam Melo jumped right into erratic dances and twisting, volatile movements. He was interactive with the audience, to say the least — constantly meeting outstretched hands from the first few rows, leaning directly onto the shoulders of those in front of him and singing centimeters away from the faces in the front row.

This full-fledged engagement with fans only added to the band’s positive reception. All band members clearly had fun and enjoyed the experience as much as the crowd.

The sound and vocal quality did not disappoint, either. It was clear and true to their recordings, if not better. RKS has a unique, resonating tone which distinguishes them from other bands. This, paired with a dynamic oscillation of speed and rhythm, gives the band the interesting sound which lingers in the minds of listeners.

Very different from RKS in their presentation but no less energetic, Major and the Monbacks balanced the night well with their calmer, but still active and engaging presence. There was less traveling around the stage and more letting the music move the band in place. This actually fit a bit better with the stage space, since it’s so confined. Major and the Monbacks gave a solid, cohesive performance which still filled the space.

Like RKS, Major and the Monbacks presented distinct lyrics and a sound equal in quality to their recordings. No single part overpowered any aspect of the performance, an issue which did occur at times with RKS. Everything was even, but still interesting. It was impossible not to tap a foot to the beat or sway within the pervading rhythm. The concert invaded every space, and whether you were in the very first row or watching in the back, it seemed as if the band was right on top of you.

With both bands, the smaller, intimate space of The Southern added to the energy emanating around the room. The cave-like atmosphere encouraged a deeper attention to each band, as if the low-vaulted ceiling and close walls were pushing the crowd toward the stage.

While Major and the Monbacks perhaps had a more mature feel, at the end of the night, it did not seem as if one band had opened for the other. The two commanded equal attention and enjoyment from the audience.