Top 10 things not to do during an interview

Tips for a successful career fair

<p>Abigail's column runs biweekly Wednesdays. She can be reached at a.lague@cavalierdaily.com.</p>

Abigail's column runs biweekly Wednesdays. She can be reached at a.lague@cavalierdaily.com.

1. Roll in late

This really shouldn’t need to be said and yet, there are always those who show up twitchy, sweaty and 10 minutes late. If you don’t 100 percent know where the interview is taking place, do a dry run so that there are no unpleasant surprises. Being 10 minutes early is the ideal arrival time and shows that you’re an organized individual well versed in interview etiquette.

2. Trash-talk a past job or employer

This is not a ‘what’s the worst job you’ve ever had’ gossip fest. Save that for your friends — at least they’ll lend a sympathetic ear and there are far fewer negative repercussions. Speaking poorly of a past employer will show that you have no company loyalty and could turn at any second. You won’t come across as a team player and no one wants a bitter misanthrope hanging around the office. Often during interviews, you might be asked what you would change about your previous jobs or why you left. Keep it professional and minimize the criticism.

3. Dress like you’re coming straight from the club

A crop top, ripped jeans or your favorite sports jersey — don’t walk in looking like you’re heading home after a long night of drinking and were too hungover to realize that you stumbled into an interview. While many offices are starting to embrace a casual Friday every once in awhile, it doesn’t necessarily mean your interviewer will be down with it. Unfortunately, the way you dress and present yourself can be the difference between dental benefits and unemployment.

4. Be uninformed

If an interviewer asks you what you know about XYZ company and you respond with, “Uhh…,” then you’ve pretty much lost the job. The information is out there — go forth and Google. With the Internet, there’s no excuse. Even if the question isn’t that straight-forward, prior information about the company can favorably influence your answers and show the interviewer you really care about the job.

5. Be attached to your cell phone

An affliction more common among younger generations, cell phones have been ruining interviews since their advent. It’s best to just turn the phone off. Even if your phone rings and you choose not to answer, the interview has been interrupted and it’s entirely your fault. Just turn the phone off. Agreed? Agreed.

6. Seem uninterested

Slouching, gazing off into space, drooling — believe it or not, these are not the actions of the interested. Maintain eye contact and when asked if you have any questions, be sure to ask intelligent ones — nothing too generic. Similarly, asking a question that the interviewer has already answered projects a distinct deficit in attention. By asking no questions at all, the interviewer will get the impression that you don’t really care about the job and that you’re after position that comes with a paycheck — not exactly the best first impression to give.

7. Avoid specific examples

Just saying you’re “successful” and a “team player” doesn’t really cut it. You’re not a politician — it won’t work for you and it barely works for them. Tell the interviewer exactly how you’re going to make their company great again, or risk hearing “you’re fired” before you’ve even secured the job.

8. Come across as arrogant

No one responds well to arrogance — no one. If you feel like you’ve used the word “I” too much, draw back. At this point you’ve clearly neglected to mention the team that helped in your success in favor of bragging rights. It’s possible an interviewer will wonder what exactly you’ll contribute to the company when “I” is all you care about. Yes, you should be highlighting your achievements and projecting confidence, but humility is key. Try to brag about the accomplishments of the team while making sure to explain what part you played.

9. Ask the interviewer too many personal questions

Think you’re forging a connection? An unbreakable bond? No. You’re just being creepy. Oh, you have kids? How many? What age? Where do they go to school? Your genuine interest in the best school districts in the area could be mistaken for something a little less wholesome. Regardless, the interviewer does not want to deal with this. They are supposed to be interviewing you, not the other way around.

10. Forget that getting the job doesn’t mean the interview is over

Your first day is almost like an extension of the interview. You can technically be fired at any moment, but the first day is an especially important test run. If you did everything right during the interview and then changed overnight, there’s a good chance you could be cut loose. The person they hired after the interview should be the same person showing up to the job.