GOBAR: Resisting President Trump begins today

Boycott your routine on Inauguration Day and learn how to become effective citizen-advocates

Today, Donald J. Trump, a man who is uniquely unfit and unqualified to serve in public administration, will be sworn in as president of the United States of America. Regardless of your level of support for the Republican Party platform, we should all be able to acknowledge that the character and conduct of Trump is unprofessional and that his elevation to the presidency will present distinct dangers, both foreign and domestic.

Since Nov. 8, we’ve all been asked to give Donald Trump a chance.

Yet, within the last two months, he has appointed a supporter of white nationalists as his chief strategist, a climate change denier who advocated abolishing the Environmental Protection Agency as head of that agency, and a racist with a spotty civil liberties background as the attorney general. He has continued to use Twitter to engage in petty fights, possibly to redirect public attention from serious issues. He has refused to sit in on key intelligence briefings, release his tax returns or place his company in a real blind trust and divest himself of conflicts of interest. He has engaged in corporate welfare and most recently he has found it necessary to insult civil rights hero Rep. John Lewis (D-GA) and lie about the conditions of his district. This is but a small sampling of the frustrating things Trump has done since being elected.

The next four years will require a great deal of commitment, energy and attention from all of us. We must commit ourselves to become better, more active citizens. We must commit ourselves to be involved with politics not just every four years, but as a constant exercise. If we do not commit to active citizenship, our civil liberties, fundamental rights and expectations of basic services from the government will see considerable damage. And all of this damage can occur even as life seems to move on at a normal pace for most people.

Of course, it is unlikely Trump can single-handedly destroy our republican system. We have checks and balances in place and a strong civil society. However, all of that means nothing if we are not willing to stand up and enforce them. As President Barack Obama remarked during his farewell address, “Our Constitution is a remarkable, beautiful gift. But it's really just a piece of parchment. It has no power on its own. We, the people, give it power.” Over the next four years, we will have to work harder than ever to make sure our Constitution has the power to restrain Trump and his agenda.

Today, I have chosen not to attend class, work or spend money. A coalition of undergraduates and graduate students, faculty and community members has crafted a day of action that I will attend instead. We will begin with a rally on the lawn side of the Rotunda at noon, and then spend the rest of the day in a series of teach-ins conducted by my fellow students, faculty members and other guest speakers. The workshops will focus on practical ways that students can lobby, advocate and provide resistance against the dangers of the coming Trump administration.

I encourage everyone to join us, although I understand that it may be too much to ask for students to miss class. All we ask is that students do not allow themselves to fall into their normal routines due to the nature of this day, and that people make an effort to come out to what parts of Mass Prep’s events that they can.

I anticipate that many will read about this protest, roll their eyes and simply put us in the category of overly sensitive college students attempting to get out of class.

I would like to point out that this is not simply an empty emotional protest, but rather a chance for students to learn practical skills to become more effective citizens and advocates. We have already seen what effective resistance will look like during the Trump administration. In early January, when House Republicans attempted to eliminate the Office of Congressional Ethics, representatives were deluged by calls and visits from constituents that eventually forced them to back down. Pressure works and individuals can make a difference. Moreover, if the charge is that college students are far too sensitive, then I plead guilty. I am sensitive about the future of our country, our democracy and the rights and safety of the people around me.

I believe that every single one of us has a role to play in defending our country from the unique dangers of the Trump administration, and I ask that you join me in taking up that role.

Weston Gobar is a third-year College student and political action director of the Black Student Alliance.