How to make the most of the New Year

A resolution that could work

I’ve always been a big fan of New Year's resolutions. I thought that they were a great, fresh start to every New Year, and that it was always good to go into a new chapter with goals and plans for the future. Two years ago, I resolved to walk with my mother every night until college. A year ago, I planned on reading and finishing a “for fun” book every month. As good as my intentions were, neither of those resolutions made it past summer.

So this year I felt my resolution-making ways needed an internal change. Again, on the first day of 2017, I sat down with my journal and pen and began to write my list of changes I would make in the coming year to become a better student, friend, daughter, sister and person. This year, however, I wasn’t looking to work out every single day, make sure to call my parents every other night or promise myself to attend every single class even if it was a rainy 8 a.m. Friday lecture.

Instead, this year I decided to make broader, more general changes — changes that were more attainable, even if they seemed to be much less impressive. So I decided — instead of trying to meet one new person each week — to try and make a conscious effort to be considerate, kind and conversational to people I meet in my day-to-day life. For example, the cashier at the grocery store, could definitely use a little conversation in her monotonous routine of scanning and have-a-good-days. At a more basic level, I resolved to be more tolerant of my brother even when he plays his podcasts out loud in the kitchen when I’m trying to read.

I decided, instead of telling myself I’d go to office hours every other week, I’d sit down and try to love the material I’m studying — moreover, to realize the privilege it is to go to such an incredible University with so many resources at my fingertips and opportunities many people will never get. Maybe with this mindset I’ll want to get out of bed on that rainy Friday morning at 8 a.m. instead of feeling like it is a chore. As a result, I hope my grades will also start to improve.

The new year always ushers in an optimistic sense of newness and a fresh start. Personally, I love the idea that we can all start over again and change for the better. However, I’m also all too familiar with the fact that everything can so quickly fall back into routine. All the time, we make these lofty New Year's resolutions that sound so great in theory, but hardly ever come to fruition throughout the entire year. The feeling behind the New Year’s resolution is one of such good intentions and a real heart to change, so maybe we should channel that goal into a different type of resolution.

Going into the new year with a new mindset instead of a list of daily things you must do may end up being a more effective way to stick to your resolutions. It’s easy to become indifferent about making New Year’s resolutions because life often gets busy and other things get in the way. Channeling the momentum of a new year into a new mindset instead could be the start of little steps to a bigger difference. Don’t get me wrong — I’m still a strong supporter of the New Year's resolution, and I think the intentions behind making them are a great indication that people are trying to make genuine change. Maybe just altering your approach to these changes is a more effective way to create a better 2017.