A conversation with Scott Miller

Virginia songwriter will play at The Jefferson April 28

<p>Singer-songwriter and full-time farmer Scott Miller will perform at the Jefferson this weekend.</p>

Singer-songwriter and full-time farmer Scott Miller will perform at the Jefferson this weekend.

Scott Miller has a knack for writing songs that make listeners feel like they really know him, even if they haven’t heard of the man. The Staunton, Va. native has been writing lyrics for the love of it since he was fresh out of college, playing in Knoxville, Tenn. with his band, The V-Roys. Since then, he’s formed his own band, The Commonwealth, and still keeps up his family’s cattle farm. He’ll be opening for the Steel Wheels at The Jefferson Theater April 28, and The Cavalier Daily caught up with him before the show.

Arts & Entertainment: You’re a consummate Southern rocker — raised on a farm and a former resident of Knoxville, and current part-time Rancher in Swoope. What is it about the South — be it the people, the culture, the attitudes — that you really think can’t be beat?

Scott Miller: I know, right? Although I have to disagree with you over “part-time” rancher. There ain’t nothing part time about farming and after 20 years in the music business and perfecting the art of “losing” money, farming is a natural fit but a full time job. I think most people in the South have some attachment to the land around them, either from having it passed down or just its beauty, especially here in the Shenandoah Valley where I grew up and now live — this valley is a like a giant box filled with land waves. There is also the southern penchant for storytelling, which is the kind of song I like — songs do not have to be that way. But basically, it comes down to bacon and grits are far superior to scrapple.

AE: You seem to hold something of a conversation with your audience — especially in small venues — during your shows. How would you say that you’ve developed the ability to read the venue and speak to the audience at hand?

SM: Well, I got sober a number of years ago, which helps tremendously. In my years in a rock band, The V-roys, it was all about trying to achieve some unconscious mind and throwing your s—t out there and hoping someone picked it up or at least danced. My songs are stories, but not with declarative statements. I try to use declarative images to invoke whatever feeling I have, and try to find some common ground with the listener. Any banter should be a forward to that and if it can’t do that then it should at least break the monotony of the dreaded singer / songwriter show. I hate singer / songwriters and I am one.

AE: Where are you most looking forward to playing in the next few months?

SM: That’s hard to say. I tour so little anymore due to the farm, and don’t really live for the road like I used to. I don’t tour January or February or the beginning of March, although I ended up in Ireland this time last year. I have to take late May and June off to get my hay up. I hate touring in the fall because I love college football way too much … But I’ll be through Texas the beginning of May, and some shows down in East Tennessee where I used to live and where I really came into my own. I’ll be through the midwest in July. Really any place with an intelligent audience willing to listen is fine with me.

AE: Are you going to be performing with talented bassist and fiddler Bryn Davies and Rayna Gellert?

SM: God, they both are so talented. It makes you sick. For this show at The Jefferson Theater, it will be just me and Bryn Davies [a bassist who has toured with] Guy Clark, Tony Rice [and] Jack White. She is studying nuclear engineering at the University of Tennessee and this show hits close to exam times. She’ll be making quite the monumental effort to make this gig.

AE: Do you have any favorite songs to play live?

SM: I think that varies depending on the configuration in which I’m performing. Solo? Could be one song. With just a bass player? Might be another. The times when I take the whole Commonwealth out would even open it up more.

AE: What’s the last time you played in Charlottesville? Any specific venues you like playing here?

SM: I played the Paramount Theater with Ricky Skaggs and Ry Cooder last time I was on your side of the Blue Ridge. That was a fun night. I’ve played a bunch of different places around the area, but you know I never really toured in Virginia because I didn’t want to face my family or teachers or scoutmaster … Back in 2005 I did a tour on the Amtrak Crescent and we played a show at the Starr Hill Brewery. My high school teachers rented a limo and came over Afton Mountain and partied harder than the band; so you get my point … But I left here and went to Tennessee to seek my music career, so I’m just really getting to know the players around this area and am so happy to be able to share part of the Steel Wheel’s big evening.