Baseball falls to William and Mary 9-3

Cavaliers fail to score after second inning

<p>Sophomore shortstop Tanner Morris scored a run in Virginia's loss to William and Mary Tuesday.</p>

Sophomore shortstop Tanner Morris scored a run in Virginia's loss to William and Mary Tuesday.

The Virginia baseball team lost to William and Mary 9-3 at home Tuesday afternoon. The Cavaliers (4-4, 0-0 ACC) initially led 3-1 after the second inning, but William and Mary (5-1, 0-0 CAA) scored eight unanswered runs to claim the victory. 

Senior right-handed pitcher Evan Sperling started on the mound for Virginia and earned two strikeouts in a scoreless top of the first inning. 

With two outs in the bottom of the frame, sophomore designated hitter Brendan Rivoli and senior catcher Cameron Comer each singled, driving in freshman left fielder Drew Hamrock and sophomore shortstop Tanner Morris to put Virginia up 2-0.

William and Mary clawed a run back in the top of the second, but Virginia made the score 3-1 in their turn at the plate on an RBI double from freshman third baseman Zack Gelof. The RBI was Gelof’s team-leading 10th of the season despite being Virginia’s leadoff hitter.

The Tribe scored 4 runs in the third inning. Sperling left the game after earning only an out in the third, allowing five earned runs on one hit and five walks. Sperling also hit two William and Mary batters in 2.1 innings of work.

Senior right-handed pitcher Grant Donahue relieved Sperling, giving up two hits in a third of an inning. Freshman right-handed pitcher Zach Messinger came in to finish the frame with William and Mary ahead 5-3.

In the fourth, William and Mary scored three more runs, all of which were credited to Messinger but unearned. The Cavaliers had a season-high three errors Tuesday, one from Hamrock, one from Morris and one from senior center fielder Cameron Simmons.

William and Mary added another run in the sixth off sophomore right-handed pitcher Kyle Whitten. Senior right-handed pitcher Chesdin Harrington pitched the final three innings, shutting out the Tribe to keep the score 9-3. Harrington struck out a career-high seven batters in his team-leading fourth appearance on the mound this season.

The Cavaliers will host Seton Hall for a three-game series this weekend. Games will start at 3 p.m. Friday and 1 p.m. Saturday and Sunday at Disharoon Park.