The best dessert you’ve never heard of

So sweet you might get a cavity

<p>This delicious dessert consists mainly of Oreo cookies, M&amp;M's and coconut.&nbsp;</p>

This delicious dessert consists mainly of Oreo cookies, M&M's and coconut. 

My roommate, Meghan, makes the best crack. I know the name may be a turnoff, but this dessert’s only addictive property is its sweet, delicious flavor. The first time I heard the name I was a bit thrown off, but I fell in love from the first bite.

Meghan’s crack is a magical dessert consisting mainly of Oreo cookies, M&M’s and coconut. This heavenly combination will give you a sugar rush in no time and have you going back for seconds, thirds and even fourths.

Meghan wanted to make an easy snack for her graduation party. She had tried a similar dish at her grandmother’s house that used brown sugar and shortbread cookies but decided to make her own version using her favorite ingredients — Oreos, coconut and M&M’s.

My friend Jaya recently received a fresh batch of Meghan’s crack for her birthday. Jaya is a faithful fan, and whenever she smells it baking, she’s sure to join our indulgent feast. According to Jaya, the dish is “a headache-inducing, addictive dessert” that feels like a party in your mouth. 

Whenever any of our friends have a birthday, bad day or just want a treat, Meghan and I are in the kitchen working on our newest batch. 

This recipe is simple and foolproof, and the whole thing costs between $10 and $15 for 12-14 servings. There is essentially no way to mess this up, as the ingredients are already delicious on their own — combining them only enhances their inherent goodness. 

Ingredients: 

1 stick of butter

1 package of Oreos

14 oz can of sweetened condensed milk (I recommend Eagle Brand)

1 package of shredded sweetened coconut 

1 package of Mini M&M’s

Directions:

1. Begin by preheating the oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit and melting one whole stick of butter in a 9x11 pan. 
  2. While the butter is melting, place the Oreos in a large Ziploc bag and crush them finely with a spoon or rolling pin. Make sure the bag is tightly sealed to prevent spillage. You can also wrap the bag in a kitchen towel to reduce rips in the plastic.
  3. Once the butter is melted — which should take between five and seven minutes —  take the pan out of the oven and pat a thin layer of the crushed cookies over the butter. 
  4. Pour the can of condensed milk over the Oreos, making sure it is spread evenly. Then, add shredded coconut and M&M’s atop the mixture. This part is fun because you can create designs with the coconut and M&M’s! 
  5. You can add all sorts of toppings to crack — have fun with customizing! I personally want to make a batch with chopped walnuts and toffee pieces. 
  6. Once you have finished layering the mixture, bake for 15-20 minutes.  

Crack is best enjoyed once it has cooled for a few hours or even overnight. If you plan to cut the dessert into shareable slices, it is best to cut it before you set it aside to cool. You can also do as Meghan and I do — just eat it straight from the pan. 

The cooling process creates delicious, almost caramelized, crunchy and sweet edges. 

I recommend enjoying the crack with a glass of milk to cut the sweetness. 

Since the ingredients are so inexpensive, it could be fun to have a crack baking party — invite your friends over, have them bring their favorite toppings and judge which piece is the most delicious. 

This recipe is inexpensive to make and you will surely impress anyone who tries it with your baking skills. But beware — too much crack can give you quite the stomachache!